Kepler's 3rd law - which object in numerator?

• Thread starter aphysicsmanduh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, when applying Kepler's 3rd law to two objects, there is a formula that can be used to solve for an unknown period or radius. The orbiting object in the numerator is the less massive object, and the orbiting object in the denominator is the more massive object. However, it is important to note that the results can be affected by accidentally omitting a square root in the formula.
aphysicsmanduh
Hi folks! I have been searching and searching and cannot come up with a clear answer. When applying Kepler's 3rd law to 2 objects to solve for an unknown period or radius, which orbiting object (satellite) is in the numerator and which is in the denominator?

Here is the formula I am referring to:

( TA / TB )^2 = (RA / RB)^3

so if you're solving for orbiting period you would have TA = √(RA/RB)^3 * TB^2

I get different answers if I switch them so there must be some sort of "rule" that tells me which object is "A" and which is "B". From my searching, it looks like period and radius "A" are for the less massive object. I also wasn't sure if it had something to do with which object was closest to original object being orbited. An example is the moons of Jupiter. If I was trying to find the period of Ganymede given its radius and the info. for Io, which object would be the numerator and which would be the denominator in Kepler's 3rd law equation.

Any help would be great so I can sleep tonight! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this what you're looking for?

[tex]T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{a^3}{G(m_1+m_2)}}[/tex]

"a" is the sum of the semi major axis of the two bodies.

It doesn't matter which is which.

The erroneous results might be due to:

aphysicsmanduh said:
TA = √(RA/RB)^3 * TB^2
Perchance you've lost a square root there?

TA = √(RA/RB)^3 * √TB^2

Related to Kepler's 3rd law - which object in numerator?

What is Kepler's 3rd law?

Kepler's 3rd law, also known as the "harmonic law," states that the square of a planet's orbital period is directly proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis. This law was discovered by German astronomer Johannes Kepler in the early 17th century.

What is the numerator in Kepler's 3rd law?

The numerator in Kepler's 3rd law refers to the orbital period of a planet, which is measured in Earth years. This represents the time it takes for a planet to complete one full orbit around the sun.

What is the significance of the object in the numerator in Kepler's 3rd law?

The object in the numerator is important because it determines the speed at which a planet orbits around the sun. The larger the orbital period, the slower the planet's orbital speed will be.

What does the value of the object in the numerator indicate?

The value of the object in the numerator indicates the length of a planet's year, or the time it takes for it to complete one full orbit around the sun. This value can vary greatly depending on the planet's distance from the sun.

How is the object in the numerator related to the semi-major axis in Kepler's 3rd law?

The object in the numerator and the semi-major axis are directly proportional in Kepler's 3rd law. This means that as the orbital period increases, so does the semi-major axis, or the average distance between the planet and the sun.