Kg m/s Change in Momentum of Trolley

In summary, the problem involves a 2.4kg cart moving at a constant speed of 2m/s on a smooth horizontal plane. A 1.5kg object is dropped onto the cart, causing a change in momentum. Using the equation p=mv, the initial momentum of the cart can be found. The final momentum can be found by determining the speed of the cart after the collision. Utilizing the equation \Deltap=p final - p initial, the change in momentum is calculated to be -1.8 kg*m/s, indicating that the cart's momentum decreases after the collision. This is due to the conservation of momentum, where the total momentum of a closed system remains constant.
dh743

Homework Statement

A 2.4kg cart is moving with a constant speed of 2m/s along a smooth horizontal plane when a 1.5kg object is dropped vertically onto it. What is the change in momentum of the trolley?

Homework Equations

p=mv
[tex]\Delta[/tex]p=p final - p initial

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\Delta[/tex]p=p final - p initial
=7.8 - 4.8
=3

Physics news on Phys.org
So what is the problem with this one? Seems perfectly ok to me.

You need to find the momentum of the cart before and after the object drops onto it. You have the cart's speed before the collision, so you can find its initial momentum. But what is its speed after the collision?

Hint: What's conserved during any collision?

substance90 said:
So what is the problem with this one? Seems perfectly ok to me.
the answer I've got is 1.8

Doc Al said:
You need to find the momentum of the cart before and after the object drops onto it. You have the cart's speed before the collision, so you can find its initial momentum. But what is its speed after the collision?

Hint: What's conserved during any collision?

Thanks for your help but i ended up with the correct answer but negative (-1.8). Would this be correct in this situation? I would have thought an increase in mass (the object) would mean an increase in momentum.

dh743 said:
Thanks for your help but i ended up with the correct answer but negative (-1.8). Would this be correct in this situation?
That happens to be correct, but how did you arrive at this answer?

I would have thought an increase in mass (the object) would mean an increase in momentum.
Does the cart speed up or slow down?

FAQ: Kg m/s Change in Momentum of Trolley

What is the definition of momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity.

What is the formula for calculating momentum?

The formula for calculating momentum is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

How is momentum related to the change in velocity?

Momentum is directly proportional to the change in velocity. This means that as the velocity of an object increases, its momentum also increases, and vice versa.

Why is momentum important?

Momentum is important because it is a fundamental concept in physics that helps us understand the behavior of moving objects. It is also conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total momentum before and after a collision remains the same.

What factors affect the momentum of an object?

The momentum of an object can be affected by its mass and velocity. A heavier object or an object with a higher velocity will have a greater momentum compared to a lighter object or an object with a lower velocity.