Kind of ambiguous question not entirely sure what she's asking (Calc 2).)

• Thread starter arishorts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calc 2
In summary, the task is to find the volume of a solid with a base defined by y=4-x^2 and the x-axis, where the cross-sections perpendicular to the y-axis are isosceles right triangles with hypotenuse in the base. The correct integral to use is -2∫2 (4-x^2)dy, giving a volume of 64/3.
arishorts

Homework Statement

"The base of a solid is the region enclosed by y=4-x^2 and the x-axis. Find the volume of the solid if cross-sections perpendicular to the y-axis are isosceles right triangles with hypotenuse in the base"

I think she forgot to add to rotate the equation around the y-axis, but i'll let you be the judge of that.

Homework Equations

y=4-x^2
V= a∫b A(x)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been staring at my textbook for the past hour and a half and I have no clue where to begin.EDIT:
think i figured out the answer. please correct me if I'm wrong.

I started by constructing the cross-sections by splitting an isosceles triangle down the middle, giving me two more isosceles triangles. More importantly, it allowed me to calculated the formulas for the height and base of the cross section:

A(x)= base*height*1/2
A(x)=(2*rad(4-x^2))*(rad(4-x^2))*(1/2)
=(4-x^2)

-2∫2 (4-x^2)dx= 2* 0∫2 (4-x^2)dx=
2(4x+(x^3/3) integrand [i believe this is the right term?] from 0 to 2)
2(8+(8/3))=
16 +(16/3)=64/3!

survey says?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
think i figured out the answer. please correct me if I'm wrong.

I started by constructing the cross-sections by splitting an isosceles triangle down the middle, giving me two more isosceles triangles. More importantly, it allowed me to calculated the formulas for the height and base of the cross section:

A(x)= base*height*1/2
A(x)=(2*rad(4-x^2))*(rad(4-x^2))*(1/2)
=(4-x^2)

-2∫2 (4-x^2)dx= 2* 0∫2 (4-x^2)dx=
2(4x+(x^3/3) integrand [i believe this is the right term?] from 0 to 2)
2(8+(8/3))=
16 +(16/3)=64/3!

survey says?

Your cross sections are given perpendicular to the y axis. It looks like you have set it up as though the cross sections are perpendicular to the x axis. You need a dy integral.

FAQ: Kind of ambiguous question not entirely sure what she's asking (Calc 2).)

1. What is the purpose of studying Calculus 2?

The purpose of studying Calculus 2 is to build upon the concepts learned in Calculus 1 and further develop skills in solving more complex problems involving derivatives, integrals, and series.

2. What are the main topics covered in Calculus 2?

The main topics covered in Calculus 2 include techniques of integration, applications of integration, sequences and series, and polar coordinates.

3. How is Calculus 2 different from Calculus 1?

Calculus 2 is different from Calculus 1 in that it focuses on more advanced techniques for solving problems involving derivatives and integrals, as well as introducing new topics such as sequences and series.

4. What are some common challenges students face in Calculus 2?

Some common challenges students face in Calculus 2 include understanding and applying new concepts, mastering integration techniques, and solving complex problems involving multiple concepts.

5. How can I succeed in Calculus 2?

To succeed in Calculus 2, it is important to attend all lectures and actively participate, complete assigned practice problems, seek help from the instructor or tutor when needed, and consistently review and practice the material.

Back