Kinematic Equations Used to Find A.) Average Speed & B.)Acceleration

In summary, the problem involves a truck traveling 40.0m in 7.15 s while slowing down to a final velocity of 3.50 m/s. The original speed of the truck is found to be 12.5 m/s using the formula Δx = Vav(Δt) = (V+Vo/2)Δt. However, the acceleration calculated using the formula a=(V-Vo)/(Δt) is incorrect due to an error in solving for Vo. Once the error is corrected, the correct acceleration is found to be -1.26 m/s2.
lethalfresa

Homework Statement

A truck covers 40.0m in 7.15 s while uniformly slowing down to a final velocity of 3.50 m/s. a.) Find the truck's original speed b.) Find it's acceleration

Homework Equations

Δx = Vav(Δt) = (V+Vo/2)Δt

a=(V-Vo)/(Δt)

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A.)

1.) I used the formula Δx = Vav(Δt) = (V+Vo/2)Δt

2.) Plugged in what is given & solved for Vo

40.0m=((3.50m/s=Vo)/(2))(7.15s)

Vo=12.5 m/s

Part B.)

1.) I used the formula a=(V-Vo)/(Δt)

2.)Plugged in what I have

(3.50 m/s-12.5 m/s)/(7.15s) = -1.26 m/s2

Apparently both my answers are wrong and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I tried this multiple times, as well as other different versions of this problem which I get correctly.

Your input would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
lethalfresa said:
40.0m=((3.50m/s+Vo)/(2))(7.15s)

Vo=12.5 m/s
Check your algebra here.

Part B.)

1.) I used the formula a=(V-Vo)/(Δt)

2.)Plugged in what I have

(3.50 m/s-12.5 m/s)/(7.15s) = -1.26 m/s2
It will be correct when you fix your Vo. :smile:

Related to Kinematic Equations Used to Find A.) Average Speed & B.)Acceleration

1. How do you calculate average speed using kinematic equations?

To calculate average speed, you need to divide the total distance traveled by the total time taken. This can be represented by the formula: average speed = total distance / total time. Kinematic equations can help you find the values for distance and time in order to calculate the average speed.

2. What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken. Instantaneous speed, on the other hand, is the speed at a specific moment in time. It can be calculated by finding the derivative of the position function with respect to time.

3. How do you find acceleration using kinematic equations?

Acceleration is defined as the rate of change of velocity over time. Kinematic equations can help you find the values for initial and final velocity and time, which can then be used in the formula: acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.

4. Can kinematic equations be used to find acceleration if velocity is not constant?

Yes, kinematic equations can be used to find acceleration even if velocity is not constant. However, in this case, you will need to use the average acceleration formula: average acceleration = change in velocity / change in time. This can be done by using the initial and final velocity values at specific points in time.

5. How can kinematic equations be used to solve real-world problems?

Kinematic equations are used to solve real-world problems by providing a mathematical representation of motion. These equations can be used to calculate various quantities such as speed, velocity, acceleration, and displacement, which are important in understanding and analyzing the motion of objects in the real world. By using these equations, scientists and engineers can make predictions and solve problems related to motion in various fields such as physics, engineering, and sports.