Kinematics derivation of conservation of angular momentum

The equations of motion are derived using principles of angular acceleration and conservation of angular momentum. The equations are then checked for consistency with conservation of angular momentum.
kzf

Homework Statement

A welding robot consists of an arm (thin rod) that can rotate about the origin point O, and a welding tip, which can freely move along the rod, from the outermost point of the arm A all the way to the center point O. The design invokes two electric motors, one to turn the arm, and one to move the welding tip along the arm. The welding robot has moment of inertia IO about O and length L. The welding tip has mass m and radius of gyration kg.

a)
Derive and state the equations of motion for this welding robot.

Consistency check: Consider the situation where Motor 1 delivers Zero moment, and the welding tip is moving inwards. What does conservation of angular momentum say is going to happen? Is this reflected in your equations of motion?

Note: This is not the full problem. The rest of the problem involves optimization but I think that I can solve it with conservation of angular momentum. However, I cannot figure out how to state the equations of motion in such a way that conservation of angular momentum will be obeyed.

Homework Equations

Acceleration of rigid body in rotating reference frame:
$$a = \alpha \times \vec{r} + \vec{a}_{x' y'} + 2 \vec{\omega} \times \vec{v}_{x' y'} - \left|\vec{\omega}\right|^2 \vec{r}$$

Conservation of angular momentum
$$I_G \omega = const$$

The Attempt at a Solution

From the problem statement, it seems like I am to develop equations of motion without using conservation of angular momentum, but which will still ultimately agree with conservation of angular momentum.

The rotational motor has no torque, and the linear motor pulls inward in order to have the tip move inwards at constant velocity.

Attempt 1: Equations of motion.
I took the first equation governing the acceleration of a rigid body, and applied it to the arm. Let a' be the linear acceleration of A along the rod in the rotating frame, and v' be the linear velocity of A along the rod in the rotating frame.

$$\vec{a} = \alpha\left<-r\sin\theta, r\cos\theta\right> + a' \left<\cos\theta, \sin\theta\right> + 2\omega v' \left<-\sin\theta, \cos\theta\right> - \omega^2 \left<\cos\theta, \sin\theta\right>$$

where I have used <x, y> to denote xî + yĵ. Then,

$$\vec{a} = \left<(a' - \omega^2)\cos\theta - (\alpha r + 2 \omega v')\sin\theta, (a' - \omega^2)\sin\theta + (\alpha r + 2 \omega v')\cos\theta \right>$$

Now v' is some constant negative scalar (since the head is moving inwards), and a' is zero. At θ = 0, under the constraints of the problem, this reduces to

$$\vec{a} = \left< -\omega^2, \alpha r + 2 \omega v' \right>$$

but I cannot see if this is relevant or not.

Attempt 2: Working backwards

From the conservation of angular momentum equation,

$$ (I_O + m k_g^2 + mr_f^2)r_f^2 \omega_f = (I_O + m k_g^2 + mr_i^2)r_i^2 \omega_i$$
$$ \omega_f = \frac{(I_O + m k_g^2 + mr_i^2)r_i^2 \omega_i}{(I_O + m k_g^2 + mr_f^2)r_f^2}$$

But once again I fail to see its relevance.

Attempt 3: Forces

The force applied by the linear motor must be equal to the centripetal force,
$$\vec{F} = -\omega^2 \vec{r}m$$
but I instantly gave up on this.

Is there some crucial thing that I am missing, or am I misinterpreting the question?

Thank you for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention. Based on your attempts, it seems that you are on the right track in deriving the equations of motion for the welding robot. However, I would like to suggest a slightly different approach that may help in understanding and solving the problem.

First, let's consider the forces acting on the welding tip. We have the weight of the tip (mg) acting downwards, the force from the linear motor (F) acting inwards, and the centripetal force (F_c) acting towards the center of rotation.

Next, we can use Newton's second law to write the equations of motion for the tip in the horizontal and vertical directions:

Horizontal direction:
$$F - F_c = ma$$

Vertical direction:
$$mg = 0$$

Since the tip is moving at a constant velocity, we can also write the equation for the angular velocity (ω) using the equation for linear velocity (v) and the radius of rotation (r):

$$v = ωr$$

Now, we can use the definition of moment of inertia (I) to write the equation for the centripetal force:

$$F_c = Iω^2/r$$

Substituting this into our equation for horizontal motion, we get:

$$F - Iω^2/r = ma$$

Finally, we can use the equation for linear velocity to write the equation for angular acceleration (α):

$$α = a/r$$

Substituting this into our equation for horizontal motion, we get:

$$F - Iα = ma$$

This is the equation of motion for the welding tip. To check for consistency with conservation of angular momentum, we can use the fact that the moment of inertia (I) is constant and the equation for angular velocity (ω) to write:

$$Iω = const$$

Differentiating this with respect to time, we get:

$$Iα + Iωα = 0$$

Substituting our equation for α, we get:

$$Iα + Iω(a/r) = 0$$

Simplifying, we get:

$$F - Iα = ma$$

which is the same equation as our equation of motion for the welding tip. This confirms that our equations are consistent with conservation of angular momentum.

I hope this helps in solving the rest of the problem. Good luck with your research!

Related to Kinematics derivation of conservation of angular momentum

1. What is the definition of angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, and is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia by the angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved when there is no external torque acting on a system. This means that the total angular momentum of a system will remain constant, even if individual components within the system are rotating or changing their rotational speed.

3. What is the equation for calculating angular momentum?

The equation for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

4. How does the derivation of conservation of angular momentum relate to Newton's laws?

The derivation of conservation of angular momentum is based on Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net torque acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its angular momentum. This means that when there is no external torque acting on a system, the angular momentum will remain constant, in accordance with Newton's first law of motion.

5. Can the conservation of angular momentum be applied to all systems?

Yes, the conservation of angular momentum can be applied to all systems as long as there is no external torque acting on the system. This principle is valid for both isolated and non-isolated systems, and can be used to explain various phenomena in rotational motion.