Kinematics Equations (2 Problems)

In summary, a negative acceleration always means that a moving object is decelerating. However, this statement is not always true because x could have a positive displacement and also have a negative acceleration.
Johnny_07

Homework Statement

In solving a kinematic equation for x, which has a negative acceleration, is x necessarily negative?

A classmate states that a negative acceleration always means that a moving object decelerating. Is this statement true? Explain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Johnny_07 said:

Homework Statement

In solving a kinematic equation for x, which has a negative acceleration, is x necessarily negative?

A classmate states that a negative acceleration always means that a moving object decelerating. Is this statement true? Explain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No, depends on reference. You can say gravity has a negative acceleration in the y prime, but a falling object is accelerating. The correct term is negative acceleration, not decelerating.

Note: I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, but it's two problems in my book, and those are the exact words. So I don't know.

Johnny_07 said:
Thanks for the help, but it's two problems in my book, and those are the exact words. So I don't know.

For your first question, what is x? Is it displacement, velocity or what?

I have no idea. I believe it's displacement, if I'm not mistaken. My teacher and the textbook is really vague and not clear at all :(

Johnny_07 said:
I have no idea. I believe it's displacement, if I'm not mistaken. My teacher and the textbook is really vague and not clear at all :(

Haha! I know how that is...

The answer is NO. This is because x could have a positive displacement and could also have a negative acceleration (slowing down) at the same time. Example, you roll a ball on the floor. It moves away from you (positive displacement) but is also slowing down (negative acceleration).

Again, I could be wrong, I'm only in last year of high school physics.

Alright, I'll take that into consideration.
Thanks a lot again! :) Really helped!

Related to Kinematics Equations (2 Problems)

1. What are the kinematics equations?

The kinematics equations are a set of mathematical equations used to describe the motion of objects. They involve variables such as displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time, and can be used to calculate these quantities in relation to each other.

2. What are the three main kinematics equations?

The three main kinematics equations are the equations for constant acceleration, also known as the SUVAT equations. They are:
- v = u + at
- s = ut + 1/2 at^2
- v^2 = u^2 + 2as
Where:
v = final velocity
u = initial velocity
a = acceleration
t = time
s = displacement

3. How do you use the kinematics equations to solve problems?

To use the kinematics equations to solve problems, you must first identify which variables are known and which are unknown. Then, you can select the appropriate equation and plug in the known values to solve for the unknown variable.

4. Can the kinematics equations be used for any type of motion?

The kinematics equations can be used for any type of motion as long as the acceleration is constant. This means that the velocity and acceleration do not change during the motion.

5. What are some common applications of the kinematics equations?

The kinematics equations are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and sports to analyze and predict the motion of objects. They are also used in the design and optimization of machines and vehicles, such as cars and airplanes.