Kinematics in one dimension - hot air balloon and bullet

In summary, the problem involves a hot air balloon ascending at a constant speed and a bullet being fired straight up from ground level. The task is to determine the heights at which the balloon and bullet have the same altitude at the same time. Using the kinematic equations, the initial position of the balloon at 13.0 m above ground level and the initial velocity of the bullet, the equations are set equal to each other and solved for time. Taking into account the initial height of the balloon, the correct solution is found.
slc23

Homework Statement

A hot air balloon is ascending straight up at a constant speed of 8.10 m/s. When the balloon is 13.0 m above the ground, a gun fires a pellet straight up from ground level with an initial speed of 28.0 m/s. Along the paths of the balloon and the pellet, there are two places where each of them has the same altitude at the same time. How far above ground level are these places? Enter the answers in the ascending order.

Homework Equations

Kinematic equations:
V = Vo + at
X - Xo = Vot + .5at2
v2 = vo2 + 2a(X - Xo)
X - Xo = .5(Vo + V)t

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the X - xo = Vot + .5at^2 equation for both the balloon and the bullet to get two variables, delta x and t, and then solving for each. But I've tried it several times and I keep getting funky answers (like negative values for t) and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,

Can you post what you tried? What was your equation for the height vs time of the balloon? And of the bullet?

What do you have to do with these equations in order to figure out what the problem is asking for?

Sure :)

So in my latest attempt --

Balloon
V = 8.10 m/s
a = 0 m/s^2

x = Vot + .5at^2
x=(8.10)t

(I am assuming there is no acceleration because velocity is constant, and I am putting in the velocity of the balloon as initial velocity, not sure if this is a correct assumption or not...)

Bullet
Vo = 28 m/s
a = -9.8 m/s^2 (acceleration due to gravity, in this problem I am assuming up is positive so acceleration is negative)

x = Vot + .5at^2
x=(28)t - 4.9t^2

Setting them equal to each other...

8.1t = 28t - 4.9t^2
4.9t^2 - 19.9t = 0
t (4.9 t - 19.9) = 0 giving one solution t=0
4.9t - 19.9 = 0
4.9 t = 19.9
t = 4.06 s

Then I subbed into the balloon equation..

x = 8.1 t
x = (8.1)(4.06)
x = 32.9
and x = 0 when t=0, but adding the 13 m of the balloon height giving
x = 13, x = 32.9

So I know it's wrong and I probably made a bunch of different mistakes, but I am feeling reallyyyy lost

Thanks!

slc23 said:
Sure :)

So in my latest attempt --

Balloon
V = 8.10 m/s
a = 0 m/s^2

x = Vot + .5at^2
x=(8.10)t

(I am assuming there is no acceleration because velocity is constant, and I am putting in the velocity of the balloon as initial velocity, not sure if this is a correct assumption or not...)

Yes, all of your assumptions are, of course, correct. However, it would probably be easiest if you chose t = 0 to be the moment at which the bullet is fired. Therefore, the "initial" position of the balloon is not 0 m, but rather 13.0 m. In other words, we have a non-zero x0 term in the equation:

x = x0 + v0t

where x0 = 13.0 m.

slc23 said:
Bullet
Vo = 28 m/s
a = -9.8 m/s^2 (acceleration due to gravity, in this problem I am assuming up is positive so acceleration is negative)

x = Vot + .5at^2
x=(28)t - 4.9t^2

This looks okay to me as well. Try solving it again, this time taking into account the initial height of the balloon, which you forgot.

Worked perfectly -thank you very much!

Related to Kinematics in one dimension - hot air balloon and bullet

1. What is kinematics in one dimension?

Kinematics in one dimension is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in one direction, typically along a straight line. It involves studying concepts such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How does a hot air balloon move in one dimension?

A hot air balloon moves in one dimension by utilizing the principle of buoyancy. The balloon is filled with hot air, which is less dense than the surrounding air, causing it to rise. The movement of the balloon is controlled by adjusting the temperature of the air inside the balloon.

3. What factors affect the motion of a hot air balloon?

The motion of a hot air balloon can be affected by various factors, such as wind speed and direction, temperature of the air inside and outside the balloon, and the weight of the balloon and its contents. These factors can impact the speed and direction of the balloon's movement.

4. How does a bullet move in one dimension?

A bullet moves in one dimension due to the force of the gun's explosion. When the trigger is pulled, the gunpowder ignites, creating a rapid expansion of gases that push the bullet out of the barrel. The bullet then travels in a straight path until it is acted upon by external forces such as air resistance and gravity.

5. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion, while acceleration is a measure of the change in an object's velocity over time. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration tells us how much an object's velocity is changing, either by speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction.