Kinematics in two dimensions lab question

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving finding the initial velocity of a tennis ball in a video by using projectile motion and video analysis. Important information such as the distance between the black lines and the frame rate of the video is provided. The equation v^2=v(i)^2+2ax is mentioned as a possible solution, but the person is unsure of how to use it and asks for help. It is suggested to take measurements of the ball's position in each frame of the video and use the horizontal and vertical lines as reference points. The person is advised to collect data and share it in order to make further calculations.
me56

Homework Statement

Using your understanding of projectile motion along with some background research on video analysis, devise a way to find the initial velocity of the tennis ball in the video just as it enters the bottom left of the screen.

There is some important information for you to consider when completing this project. The distance between the two vertical black lines in the video is 50 cm. The distance between the two horizontal black lines in the video is 50 cm; but do not assume the same scale for the horizontal as for the vertical. Also, the frame rate of the video is 30 frames per second. Assume that position (0, 0) is the bottom, left corner.

I copied and pasted the above from my lab. Let me explain what happens in the Lab. There is a video, about 2 seconds long. There is a tennis ball that bounces in the screen and then dissapears again in about 1.5 seconds. I need to find the initial velocity. There is x,y graph taped to a wall with the black tape marking where the black lines are located.

Homework Equations

I believe I need to use the following equation:

v^2=v(i)^2+2ax
v(i)=initial velocity
a=-9.8

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know how to solve the equation and what to do with the numbers that I have. Can somebody please give me a hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you supposed to take measurements of the position of the ball in each frame of the video? Using the horizontal and vertical lines for reference you should be able to analyze each frame and get x and y coordinates for the balls center. Once you have the data you can do some calculations.

First you need to get some data and then share it with us.

FAQ: Kinematics in two dimensions lab question

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is the difference between kinematics in one dimension and two dimensions?

Kinematics in one dimension only deals with motion along a straight line, while kinematics in two dimensions involves motion in both the horizontal and vertical directions.

3. How do you calculate displacement in two dimensions?

To calculate displacement in two dimensions, you use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the displacement vector, and trigonometric functions to find the direction of the displacement.

4. What is a projectile motion?

A projectile motion is a type of motion in which an object is launched at an angle and moves along a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

5. How do you find the initial velocity in a projectile motion?

To find the initial velocity in a projectile motion, you can use the equations of motion and solve for the initial velocity using known values such as the angle of launch, distance traveled, and time of flight.

Back