Kinematics Last minute homework help

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with kinematics problems and being directed to resources for understanding the concepts. The student is reminded of the difference between displacement and distance and encouraged to show effort in solving the problems on their own. The importance of learning rather than just getting the answers is emphasized.
koolkris623

Homework Statement

Hi I seriously need help in any of these remaining kinematics problems...I need to understand how to solve them too...Any help will be greatly appreciated.

1.) A bird watcher meanders through the woods, walking 0.40 km due east, 0.70 km due south, and 2.20 km in a direction 45.0° north of west. The time required for this trip is 2.50 h. Determine the magnitude and direction (relative to due west) of the bird watcher's

(a) displacement and
km (magnitude)
° (direction north of west)
(b) average velocity.
km/h (magnitude)
° (direction north of west)

Use kilometers and hours for distance and time, respectively

8.) A car drives straight off the edge of a cliff that is 50 m high. The police at the scene of the accident note that the point of impact is 140 m from the base of the cliff. How fast was the car traveling when it went over the cliff?
______(m/s)

16.) A soccer player kicks the ball toward a goal that is 29.0 m in front of him. The ball leaves his foot at a speed of 18.5 m/s and an angle of 33.6° above the ground. Find the speed of the ball when the goalie catches it in front of the net. (Note: The answer is not 18.5 m/s.)
________________m/s

Homework Equations

x(t) = .5at2 + v0t + x0
x(t) = .5(v0+vf)t
vf^2= v^2+ 2ax
v= v0+ at

The Attempt at a Solution

I seriously don't know how to do these remaining problems

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1a) Tell me, what is the definition of displacement? Based on that answer, how would you compute it?

displacement is the distance basically..it is x in the equations

koolkris623 said:
displacement is the distance basically..it is x in the equations

Notice you're dealing with a problem in two dimensions. There's a key difference between displacement and distance...

oooo ya...i forgot about that

uh, anyway, keep us posted with how you're doing with these problems...

here is an idea: why not just solve the problem and get it over with--that is why we come here in the first place, because we need to know how to get the answer(so we can learn from it), not to get a 4 hr/long distance/useless tutoring section.

frasifrasi said:
here is an idea: why not just solve the problem and get it over with--that is why we come here in the first place, because we need to know how to get the answer(so we can learn from it), not to get a 4 hr/long distance/useless tutoring section.

So you want someone to do your homework for you? Well, I'm sorry, that's not what we're here for! You should re-read the PF guidelines to which you ageed when you joined. Besides, the majority of students that seek help here find the tutoring approach far more useful than simply providing solutions.

FAQ: Kinematics Last minute homework help

What is Kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

Why is Kinematics important?

Kinematics helps us understand and describe the motion of objects, which is essential in fields such as engineering, robotics, and even sports.

What is the difference between distance and displacement in Kinematics?

Distance is the total length an object has traveled, while displacement is the shortest distance between the starting and ending point of an object's motion.

What are the three equations of motion in Kinematics?

The three equations of motion in Kinematics are:
1) v = u + at (equation for finding final velocity)
2) s = ut + ½at² (equation for finding displacement)
3) v² = u² + 2as (equation for finding final velocity without time)

How can I solve Kinematics problems quickly?

To solve Kinematics problems quickly, it is important to understand the concepts and equations involved. Practice and familiarization with different types of problems can also help with quicker problem-solving.

Back