Kinematics motion-setting up instantaneous velocity function

In summary, The problem involves an object moving in a straight line from position xi, at time t =0, with velocity vi and an acceleration given by a = ai + bt. We are asked to find expressions for instantaneous velocity and position as functions of time. The equation xf=xi+vi t+0.5 ai t^2 is only true for constant acceleration, so we must integrate the given acceleration with respect to time to find the instantaneous velocity and then integrate again to get the position as a function of time. Differentiating displacement with respect to time gives us instantaneous velocity, but this is incorrect for a function of time. Instead, we need to start with the acceleration and work backwards to get the velocity and then the displacement. After
negation

Homework Statement

An object starts moving in a straight line from position xi, at time t =0, with velocity vi. Its acceleration is given by a = ai + bt, where ai and b are constant. Find expressions for
a)instantaneous velocity
b) position as functions of time.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Capture.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you have there (xf=xi+vi t+0.5 ai t^2) is only true for constant acceleration. You should workout the instantaneous velocity by integrating the acceleration with respect to time. THen do the same thing to get the position.

CFede said:
The equation you have there (xf=xi+vi t+0.5 ai t^2) is only true for constant acceleration. You should workout the instantaneous velocity by integrating the acceleration with respect to time. THen do the same thing to get the position.

But the acceleration that is given, a = ai + bt, is already a function of time.

negation said:
But the acceleration that is given, a = ai + bt, is already a function of time.
How is the derivative of the velocity with respect to time related to the acceleration?

Chestermiller said:
How is the derivative of the velocity with respect to time related to the acceleration?

I'm lost. Could someone provide an exposition?

Chestermiller said:

Differentiating displacement with respect to time gives me instantaneous velocity, no?

negation said:
I'm lost. Could someone provide an exposition?
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=a=a_i+bt[/tex]
Do you know how to integrate this differential equation?

Chestermiller said:
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=a=a_i+bt[/tex]
Do you know how to integrate this differential equation?

I do.

Capture.JPG

but why can't I set up a displacement equation as a function of time as like in my first post and differentiate it?
What's the rational?

Last edited:
negation said:
I do.
but why can't I set up a displacement equation as a function of time as like in my first post and differentiate it?
What's the rational?
The rationale is that the equation in your first post is incorrect if the acceleration is a function of time. So it's of no use in this problem. You need to start with the acceleration and work backwards by getting the velocity first and then the displacement. Compare what you get doing it this way your the equation in your first post.

Chestermiller said:
The rationale is that the equation in your first post is incorrect if the acceleration is a function of time. So it's of no use in this problem. You need to start with the acceleration and work backwards by getting the velocity first and then the displacement. Compare what you get doing it this way your the equation in your first post.

I have inserted the antiderivative in the above post after you quote.

negation said:
I have inserted the antiderivative in the above post after you quote.
Yes. That's the increase in velocity. If you want the velocity itself, you need to add in the initial velocity. Then, integrate the resulting equation to get the location x.

chestermiller said:
yes. That's the increase in velocity. If you want the velocity itself, you need to add in the initial velocity. Then, integrate the resulting equation to get the location x.

Capture.JPG

negation said:
This was done correctly, but the problem statement asked for the position as a function of time.

Chestermiller said:
This was done correctly, but the problem statement asked for the position as a function of time.

Alright. This is delta x. To get xf, xf= xi+ delta x.

negation said:
Alright. This is delta x. To get xf, xf= xi+ delta x.
Yeah! Excellent!

Related to Kinematics motion-setting up instantaneous velocity function

1. What is kinematics motion?

Kinematics motion is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the causes of the motion, such as forces and energy. It focuses on describing and analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object over time.

2. What is an instantaneous velocity function?

An instantaneous velocity function is a mathematical representation of an object's velocity at a specific moment in time. It is derived from the position function, which describes the object's position as a function of time. The instantaneous velocity function can be used to calculate the object's speed and direction at any given point in its motion.

3. How do you set up an instantaneous velocity function?

To set up an instantaneous velocity function, you first need to have a position function that describes the object's position as a function of time. Then, you can use the derivative of the position function to find the object's velocity at a specific moment in time. This will give you the instantaneous velocity function.

4. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the average rate at which an object changes its position over a given period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. It is calculated using the derivative of the position function.

5. Why is understanding kinematics motion important?

Understanding kinematics motion is important because it allows us to accurately describe and predict the motion of objects in our everyday lives. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy, where the behavior of moving objects is of great importance. It also helps us understand the fundamental laws of motion and the behavior of the universe.