Kinematics of pumpkin shot out of air cannon

In summary, the pumpkin is shot out of the air cannon at an angle of 45 degrees and with an initial velocity of 54m/s. It lands 142 m away. Assuming the force due to air resistance was F=-kmv, find the value of k.
tb.MSU
A pumpkin of mass 5kg is shot out of an air cannon at an elevation angle of 45 degrees with an initial velocity of 54m/s. It lands 142 m away. Assuming the force due to air resistance was F=-kmv, find the value of k.

I need some help with this problem. I'm not quite sure how to put in the angle. All i really know is:

F = ma = m(dv/dt) = -kmv ... after integration

ln v = -kt + C1 v(t=0)=Vo C1 = ln Vo
thus:
v = Vo(e^-kt)

i know this is completely off though because no where is there a sin or cos for me to input the angle..

any help would be much appreciated thanks!

ps. I'm a second year student at Michigan State. Astrophysics major.. gone through Calc 4.

tb

Physics news on Phys.org
U forgot about the gravity force and the fact that the 2-nd law of Newton is a vector equation.

Daniel.

i'm actually starting to get somewhere now...

x(t=0) = 0 = y(t=0)
x(t=0) = Vo cos theta
y(t=0) = Vo sin theta
.. .
mx = -kmx
.. .
my = -kmy - mg

and I'm basically solving from there... i think i'll be okay on this question now, but any pushes while I'm on the swing will be w00teriffic. :)

Okay,post any "accidents" along the way. :-p

Daniel.

okay figured it out

i ended up having to set separate variables for time and also had to find the projectile range with and without air resistance.

this put me in an expansion parameter or coupling constant. For short, i used the "perturbation method" to come to a final answer of .257s^-1

R` = R (1 - ((4kVo sin theta)/3g))
where R = (Vo^2/g)sin 2 theta

Anyway,
I just found this page surprisingly. I was reading through a lot of other posts and noticed that there are several intelligent people posting and commenting on this site, so i figured i'd try and join up in hopes to better myself and others is possible.

Cheers,

tb

(GO STATE!)

FAQ: Kinematics of pumpkin shot out of air cannon

1. What is the purpose of studying the kinematics of a pumpkin shot out of an air cannon?

The purpose of studying the kinematics of a pumpkin shot out of an air cannon is to understand the motion and trajectory of the pumpkin as it is propelled through the air. This can help scientists and engineers design more efficient and accurate air cannons, as well as predict the distance and impact of the pumpkin upon landing.

2. How is the initial velocity of the pumpkin determined in an air cannon?

The initial velocity of the pumpkin in an air cannon can be determined through various methods, such as using a pressure gauge to measure the air pressure inside the cannon, or using a chronograph to measure the muzzle velocity of the pumpkin as it exits the cannon.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a pumpkin shot out of an air cannon?

The trajectory of a pumpkin shot out of an air cannon can be affected by various factors, including the initial velocity, air resistance, wind conditions, and the angle at which the cannon is fired. The weight and shape of the pumpkin can also play a role in its trajectory.

4. How is the range of a pumpkin shot out of an air cannon calculated?

The range of a pumpkin shot out of an air cannon can be calculated using the projectile motion equations, taking into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the effects of gravity and air resistance. Computer simulations or physical experiments can also be used to determine the range of the pumpkin.

5. Are there any safety concerns when studying the kinematics of a pumpkin shot out of an air cannon?

Yes, there are safety concerns when studying the kinematics of a pumpkin shot out of an air cannon. It is important to follow proper safety protocols, wear protective gear, and ensure that the cannon is operated by trained individuals. Additionally, precautions should be taken to prevent injury or damage to surrounding objects or people.

Back