Kinematics Problem 1: Determining Acceleration and Maximum Speed in a Race

In summary, both A and B attained maximum speeds after accelerating uniformly for a distance d. A took a time ta and B a time tb to attain their maximum speeds.
an_mui
Problem 1.

In a race a distance d long, A and B cross the finish line in a dead heat, both taking a time T. Accelerating uniformly, A takes a time ta and B a time tb to attain maximum speed, which they maintain for the rest of their race.

a) what is the acceleration of each sprinter?
b) what are their respective maximum speeds?

For both questions, express your answer in terms of d, T, ta and tb.

This is what I've done so far.. my logic is probably all wrong but any help is appreciated.

1. First, I think that the equation of A and B will be very similar (only ta, tb and maximum speeds are different).

2. I use the kinematic equations, and divide the race of A into two halves. The first half is when A is accelerating uniformly.

Phase 1
V2 = v1 + a(delta d)^2
V2 = a(delta d)^2

the distance traveled in phase 1 would be (v2 + v1)/2 x ta
d1 = (v2/2)ta

Phase 2
d2 = v2(T - ta)

Can someone tell me if my logic up to this point is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
you're not using the correct formula it is

[tex] v_{2}^2 = v_{1}^2 + 2ad [/tex]
good idea doing it in phases i did it the same way. So for the first leg of A you have uniform acceleration where u use the above formula
For the second leg of A you have constant velocity with time where time is
T - Ta (do you see why?) the total time - the time taken to reach is the time A will be at cosntant velocity. Now Add the distances from both phases. And isolate for aceleration. Do the same for B.

Sorry I am stuck again.

After I added the two phases togehter, I am left with the following equation

dtotal = (v2)^2 / 2a + v2 ( T - Ta)

how would i solve for a?

an_mui said:
Sorry I am stuck again.

After I added the two phases togehter, I am left with the following equation

dtotal = (v2)^2 / 2a + v2 ( T - Ta)

how would i solve for a?
I assume what you have is,

[tex]d_{total} = \frac{v_2^2}{2a} + v_2 ( T - T_a)[/tex]

where a is the acceleration during the first phase and v2 is the final velocity, with v1 = 0.

you will have gotten v2 = aTa - just substitute.

Got the help I needed, thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, you did it right - those answers are correct.

btw, your answer for the acceln might look neater if the t1 was taken out as a factor :smile:

[tex]
a = \frac{2d}{t_{1}(2T - t_{1})}[/tex]

thank you very much! I really appreciate your help =)

Related to Kinematics Problem 1: Determining Acceleration and Maximum Speed in a Race

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion, without considering the causes of that motion.

2. What are the basic principles of kinematics?

The three basic principles of kinematics are position, velocity, and acceleration. Position is the location of an object at a specific time, velocity is the rate of change of an object's position, and acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity.

3. How is kinematics related to other branches of physics?

Kinematics is closely related to other branches of physics such as dynamics, which studies the causes of motion, and mechanics, which combines both kinematics and dynamics to study the motion of objects.

4. What are the equations used in kinematics?

The most commonly used equations in kinematics include the equations for position, velocity, and acceleration, as well as equations for time, displacement, and average speed. These equations involve variables such as time, displacement, initial velocity, final velocity, and acceleration.

5. How can kinematics be applied in real life?

Kinematics has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in the design of cars and airplanes, the study of sports movements, and the analysis of traffic patterns. It is also essential in fields such as engineering, robotics, and physics research.