Kinematics Problem: Finding the Minimum Running Speed to Catch a Moving Train

In summary: What can I say? Keep it up. ehildIn summary, the problem involves a train with a constant acceleration of 0.4 m/s^2 and a passenger who arrives at a point next to the track 6.0 seconds after the end of the train has passed the same point. The question asks for the minimum constant speed at which the passenger can run and still catch the train. The equations \Deltax = v0t + a/2*t2 and V2f=V2i+ 2a*\Deltax can be used to find the positions of both objects. However, rearranging the formulas to find only one unknown is challenging. The key to solving the problem is realizing that at the
zero_infinity

Homework Statement

A train pulls away from a station with constant acceleration of .4 m/s^2. A passenger arrives at a point next to the track 6.0s after the end of the train has passed the very same point. What is the slowest constant speed at which she can run and still catch the train?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = v0t + a/2*t2
V2f=V2i+ 2a*[tex]\Delta[/tex]x

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find the position functions of both objects, but I can't rearrange the formulas just right where I'll end up with just one unknown.

i.e.

Xpassenger = v0t
Xtrain = 7.2 + 2.4*t + .2*t2

I know their positions have to be the same and I know their velocities have to be the same at that point (I picture it as a line touching the tip of a quadratic, like a derivative).

Since it's asking for a minimum, I'm also unsure of how to apply calculus. i.e. What am I taking the minimum of?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zero_infinity said:

Homework Statement

A train pulls away from a station with constant acceleration of .4 m/s^2. A passenger arrives at a point next to the track 6.0s after the end of the train has passed the very same point. What is the slowest constant speed at which she can run and still catch the train?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = v0t + a/2*t2
V2f=V2i+ 2a*[tex]\Delta[/tex]x

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find the position functions of both objects, but I can't rearrange the formulas just right where I'll end up with just one unknown.

i.e.

Xpassenger = v0t
Xtrain = 7.2 + 2.4*t + .2*t2

I know their positions have to be the same and I know their velocities have to be the same at that point (I picture it as a line touching the tip of a quadratic, like a derivative).

Since it's asking for a minimum, I'm also unsure of how to apply calculus. i.e. What am I taking the minimum of?

Also v(t) = v_o + a*t , v_o =0 so v(t=6) = ?

Spinnor said:
Also v(t) = v_o + a*t , v_o =0 so v(t=6) = ?

Um, what?

The passenger is going to be moving with constant speed.

I know the answer - it's 4.8 m/s (i don't know how to arrive at it). That equation doesn't help me for the passenger, and I've calculated the velocity for the train (at t=6).

Still need help with this. :/

Nobody knows how to do it? Or did I not follow the rules? I'm pretty sure I did..

The positions should be the same, the velocities do not.

Xpassanger=xtrain

This is an equation with two unknown, v0 and t (the time needed for the passenger to reach the train).You need the minimum v0.
It is possible to express v0 as function of t and find t where v0(t) is minimum.

ehild

ehild said:
The positions should be the same, the velocities do not.

Xpassanger=xtrain

This is an equation with two unknown, v0 and t (the time needed for the passenger to reach the train).You need the minimum v0.
It is possible to express v0 as function of t and find t where v0(t) is minimum.

ehild

Yes, I have done that too. It's wrong

v(t) = .2(t^2 + 12*t + 36)/t

v'(t) = .2(t^2-36)/t^2 =0

this gives two extrema: 6 and -6

i already know the answer is 4.8, so... it doesn't work like that. I'm also pretty sure the velocities have to be the same.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/6751/posy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The time must be positive. Just substitute t=6 in v(t) = .2(t^2 + 12*t + 36)/t = .2(6^2 + 12*6 + 36)/6=? I got 4.8, but I might be wrong...

ehild

ehild said:
The time must be positive. Just substitute t=6 in v(t) = .2(t^2 + 12*t + 36)/t = .2(6^2 + 12*6 + 36)/6=? I got 4.8, but I might be wrong...

ehild

How did you know they were going to meet at t=6(or t=12?)? It doesn't make any sense to me.

That's really not intuitive for me, wtf. If the passenger starts running at t=6, how they possibly meet at t=6(t=12?)?

Last edited:
"Xpassenger = v0t
Xtrain = 7.2 + 2.4*t + .2*t2"

Was it you who set up these equations? What does t mean?

ehild

ehild said:
"Xpassenger = v0t

Was it you who set up these equations? What does t mean?

ehild

... time

the function for the train could have just been .2t^2(1/2*a*t^2), but i rewrote it for t=6 (found its position, velocity)

if you're plugging 6 into t, then it's 6 extra seconds on-top of the 6 after it started accelerating. how did you know to plug in 6?

Yes t is time but the time of what?
ehild

what do you mean?!

in that equation it's the time it takes for them to meet at the same point

!?

You have set up two equations for the position of the passenger and for the position of the train

"Xpassenger = v0t

and these are the same when they meet at tm (meeting time):

v0*tm=7.2 + 2.4*tm + .2*tm^2 ---> v0=7.2/tm + 2.4+ .2*tm.

The minimum value of v0 is needed. You differentiated v0 with respect to tm and have found that it is zero for tm =6 s, so the passenger needs the lowest speed if he caches the train in 6 s.

If you plug in 6 for tm in the expession for v0, you get 4.8 m/s.

v0=7.2/6+ 2.4+ .2*6=1.2+2.4+1.2=4.8.

ehild

ehild said:
You have set up two equations for the position of the passenger and for the position of the train

"Xpassenger = v0t

and these are the same when they meet at tm (meeting time):

v0*tm=7.2 + 2.4*tm + .2*tm^2 ---> v0=7.2/tm + 2.4+ .2*tm.

The minimum value of v0 is needed. You differentiated v0 with respect to tm and have found that it is zero for tm =6 s, so the passenger needs the lowest speed if he caches the train in 6 s.

If you plug in 6 for tm in the expession for v0, you get 4.8 m/s.

v0=7.2/6+ 2.4+ .2*6=1.2+2.4+1.2=4.8.

ehild

i'm an idiot

-_-

Well... :smile:

Related to Kinematics Problem: Finding the Minimum Running Speed to Catch a Moving Train

1. What is simple kinematics?

Simple kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that caused the motion. It focuses on the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects in motion.

2. How do you calculate velocity in a simple kinematics problem?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the change in time. The formula for velocity is v = (xf - xi) / (tf - ti), where v is velocity, xf is the final position, xi is the initial position, tf is the final time, and ti is the initial time.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. Speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity.

4. How do you calculate acceleration in a simple kinematics problem?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / (tf - ti), where a is acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, tf is the final time, and ti is the initial time.

5. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the average rate of change of an object's position over a given period of time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time, while instantaneous velocity is calculated using the derivative of the position function with respect to time.