Kinematics (projectile) - why is my solution wrong?

In summary, the conversation is about a biker's track and calculating the speed of the biker as he jumps off a hill. There is discussion about different equations and formulas to use and the use of a webcam to share solutions. The conversation ends with a thank you and a mention of a helpful equation for solving projectile motion questions.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4773/biker101.jpg

A biker's track is planned so when a biker jumps of a hill slanted at a 30 degrees angle and a height of 1.4m. During a race it's been determined that the biker depicted in the drawing stays in the air 1.65 seconds. Calculate the speed of the biker as he leaves point A.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/2316/vovovo.jpg

Apparently this is the wrong figure. And oh yea-- I forgot to add meter per second.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
well i like to work back from

y=yi+viyt-(gt2)/2

try that out noting the initial and final displacements from the diagram.

okay i just derived the equation you used. the reason its not working is due to this situation being asymmetrical (initial and final displacements not the same), whereas your equation only works for symmetrical situations.

try to work from the formula i have given, as it takes less assumptions then your one, just a suggestion

Last edited:
okay i just derived the equation you used. the reason its not working is due to this situation being asymmetrical (initial and final displacements not the same), whereas your equation only works for symmetrical situations.

Thanks a bunch! I'll keep working on that :)

also note that the velocity you attain from solving my equation is only the initial VERTICAL component. therefore you have to use another formula to find the total initial velocity

ill leave that up to you ;)

Femme_physics said:
I believed then that I used a formula that gives me V0 directly, not just its y component :)

Nice! :smile:

Just not neat. :P

lol, I noticed I ran out of paper as I was plugging in the figures in that formula so I crossed it out. What do you expect when you don't have a decent scanner to work with?!?

Though tbh this is easier, just writing it like that and taking a webcam pic. Tons faster, too. And I noticed that using a thick black marker it's pretty clear as well. :)

Femme_physics said:
lol, I noticed I ran out of paper as I was plugging in the figures in that formula so I crossed it out. What do you expect when you don't have a decent scanner to work with?!?

Well, there's less space now for bolting bugs! :)

Femme_physics said:
Though tbh this is easier, just writing it like that and taking a webcam pic. Tons faster, too. And I noticed that using a thick black marker it's pretty clear as well. :)

Yes, the thick black marker is very readable.
It's much better than what I would've expected from a webcam.

And the size in the posts is good too: not too small and not too big.

It's also nice to see a glimpse of you every now and then! :smile:

nice you got it

ill say once again that, in my expierience all projectile motion questions at least at my level,
can be solved by the equation i gave you and

v=vi+at (where you once again split into vertical and horizontal components)

I'll keep it in mind. Thanks Lackos :)

And thanks ILS for your careful analysis of...everything :-)

Related to Kinematics (projectile) - why is my solution wrong?

1. Why is my initial velocity value incorrect?

The initial velocity value is crucial in calculating projectile motion. Make sure you have the correct magnitude and direction of the initial velocity. Also, check for any rounding errors or unit conversions that may have been missed.

2. How do I know if my angle of projection is correct?

The angle of projection is the angle at which the object is launched. To ensure accuracy, double-check that the angle is measured from the horizontal and that you have the correct sign convention for angles of projection.

3. Why is my calculated time of flight too short/long?

The time of flight is the total time the object is in motion. To accurately calculate this, make sure you are using the correct equations and inputs, such as the initial velocity and angle of projection. Also, check for any errors in your calculations and units.

4. What could be causing my range to be incorrect?

The range is the horizontal distance the projectile travels. It is affected by the initial velocity, angle of projection, and acceleration due to gravity. Make sure you are using the correct values and equations, and check for any errors in your calculations. Additionally, consider the effects of air resistance or other external factors.

5. How do I know if my calculated maximum height is correct?

The maximum height is the highest point the projectile reaches. To ensure accuracy, double-check that your calculations take into account the correct initial velocity and angle of projection. Also, consider any external factors, such as air resistance, that may affect the maximum height. Finally, check for any errors in your calculations or units.

Back