Kinematics (rectilnear motion) simple

In summary, two balls are launched at different times with different initial velocities, and the goal is for them to collide at an altitude of 300ft. One ball is launched with an initial velocity of 160 ft/sec, and the other ball's initial velocity, v2, needs to be determined. To find v2, we can use the equation \Deltax= \frac{1}{2}at^{2}+v_{0}t and solve for t using the given information. Then, we can use that value of t to solve for v2. It is important to remember to use the correct value for acceleration due to gravity, which is -32.17 ft/s^2 in this case.
whynot314
Ball 1 is launched with an initial vertical velocity v1=160 ft/sec. Three seconds later, ball 2 is launched with an initial velocity v2. determine v2 if the balls are to collide at an altitude of 300ft.

not sure where I am going wrong, do I have my limits correct?[URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/nebula-314/media/20131222_191532_zpsf76c1ab5.jpg.html][PLAIN]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o745/nebula-314/20131222_191532_zpsf76c1ab5.jpg[/URL][/PLAIN]

Physics news on Phys.org
v2 being initial velocity.

I'm not sure what you're doing here, but if I were you I would use the following equation to calculate t for the first ball to reach 300ft, then using that t minus 3 (because the 2nd ball was launch 3 seconds later) and the same equation I would calculate v2.

[itex]\Delta[/itex]x= [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]a[itex]t^{2}[/itex]+[itex]v_{0}[/itex]t

Just remember that here we take upside direction to be positive, hence a=-g and if you are measuring distance in ft you should use g=32.17 ft/s^2 , or convert ft to meter and use g=9.8 m/s^2

Let me know how it goes :)

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Oh i was trying to derive that equation, and perhaps save some steps.

But your solution did help a lot thanks.

oh I see! I guess sometimes it's just easier to stick to the basics! :-p

No problem at all, happy to help

Related to Kinematics (rectilnear motion) simple

1. What is kinematics in relation to rectilinear motion?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. Rectilinear motion refers to motion that occurs along a straight line.

2. What is the difference between rectilinear motion and curvilinear motion?

Rectilinear motion occurs along a straight line, while curvilinear motion occurs along a curved path. In rectilinear motion, the velocity and acceleration are in the same direction, while in curvilinear motion, they can be in different directions.

3. How is displacement different from distance in rectilinear motion?

Displacement refers to the straight-line distance between the starting and ending positions of an object, while distance refers to the total path length traveled by the object. Displacement takes into account the direction of motion, while distance does not.

4. What is the equation for velocity in rectilinear motion?

The equation for velocity in rectilinear motion is v = Δx/Δt, where v is the velocity, Δx is the displacement, and Δt is the change in time. It represents the average velocity of an object over a given period of time.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion in rectilinear motion?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. In rectilinear motion, if an object's acceleration is in the same direction as its velocity, the object will speed up. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the velocity, the object will slow down. If the acceleration is perpendicular to the velocity, it will change the direction of the object's motion.