Kinematics - relative velocities

In summary, the problem involves small wheels attached to the ends of a rod AB which roll along two surfaces. At a given instant, the velocity of wheel A is 1.5 m/s to the right and the relative velocity of wheel B with respect to wheel A is perpendicular to rod AB. The goal is to determine the relative velocity and velocity of wheel B. The equation vA+vB/A=vA is used, and the given information is the component of vA and the fact that the angles in the problem are right angles. However, the angle that rod AB makes with the x-axis is unknown, making it difficult to solve the problem.
srh

Homework Statement

I have attached a picture of the situation. Small Wheels attached to the ends of rod AB roll along two surfaces. Knowing that at the instant shown the velocity vA of wheel A is 1.5 m/s to the right and the relative velocity vB/A of wheel B with respect to wheel A is perpendicular to rod AB, determine the relative velocity vB/A and velocity vB of wheel B.

Homework Equations

vA+vB/A=vA

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that vA+vB/A =vA. I know that the component of vA is 1.5m/s in the x direction. The problems that we have done were all with right angles. I know another way to figure out the problem is to draw the vectors but we don't have all the angles. I can't seem to figure out how to find the angle that the rod AB makes w/ the x-axis. Is there a formula that I am missing? I'm just not sure where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, srh, there doesn't appear to be a picture attached. Can you please try again?

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question and attempt at a solution. Kinematics is a fascinating and complex topic, and it is great to see students like you working hard to understand it.

To solve this problem, you can use the concept of relative velocity. Relative velocity is the velocity of one object with respect to another object. In this case, we are interested in the relative velocity of wheel B with respect to wheel A, denoted as vB/A.

To find vB/A, we can use the formula vB/A = vB - vA, where vB is the velocity of wheel B and vA is the velocity of wheel A. We know that vA = 1.5 m/s to the right, but we do not know the velocity of wheel B yet.

To find vB, we can use the fact that the relative velocity vB/A is perpendicular to the rod AB. This means that the direction of vB/A is perpendicular to the direction of vA, which is to the right. Therefore, vB must be in the y direction.

Now, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of vB. We know that vA+vB/A = vA, so we can rewrite this as vB/A = -vA. This means that the magnitude of vB must be equal to the magnitude of vA, but in the opposite direction. Using the Pythagorean theorem, we can find that |vB| = |vA| = 1.5 m/s.

Therefore, vB must have a magnitude of 1.5 m/s in the y direction. This means that the velocity of wheel B is 1.5 m/s upward. To find the relative velocity vB/A, we can simply plug in the values we found for vB and vA into the formula vB/A = vB - vA. This gives us a final answer of vB/A = 1.5 m/s upward.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept of relative velocity and how to apply it in this problem. Keep up the good work in your studies of kinematics!

Related to Kinematics - relative velocities

1. What is the concept of relative velocity in kinematics?

Relative velocity in kinematics is the measure of the velocity of one object with respect to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and their relative positions. In other words, it is the difference between the velocities of two objects moving in different directions.

2. How is relative velocity calculated in kinematics?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of another object. This can be done by considering the positions, velocities, and directions of both objects and using the appropriate equations from kinematics.

3. What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

The main difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity is that relative velocity takes into account the motion of two objects, while absolute velocity only considers the motion of one object in relation to a fixed point. Absolute velocity is independent of any other object's motion, while relative velocity is dependent on the motion of another object.

4. How does the concept of relative velocity apply to real-life situations?

Relative velocity is important in many real-life situations, such as driving a car, flying a plane, or playing sports. It helps us understand the motion of objects in relation to each other and allows us to make predictions and calculations about their movements.

5. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative if the two objects are moving in opposite directions. This indicates that the objects are moving away from each other, or that their relative positions are changing over time.