Kinematics Test Question: Can You Solve This Sheriff and Robber Pursuit Problem?

In summary, the robber has a 12 minute head start, whilst the sheriff has a 12 minute un-head start. If you solve the problem again and use t+1/5 as your answer, the robber will have a 13 minute head start.
zach5681b
1. Ok so on my Pre-Calculus test today, there was a problem dealing with kinematics, I am in Physics so no problem right?... well teacher says otherwise. The question goes.
A Robber heads down a strait road at 10mph. 12 minutes later the Sherriff heads off in hot pursuit at 14mph. How long will it take the Sherriff to catch the thief.

2. so first things first. I set it up using D=RT (simple right). I set it up as
d=10*t + (10*.2) and d=14*t

3. Then i combined them to set equal to each other. 10*t +(10*.2)=14*t

Then I used my 89 and got .5 or 30 min as my answer.

But the problem is my teacher set it up like this.

10t=14(t-1/5)

and he got .7 as the answer.

Any help who can tell which is right, because I have a feeling you can't do what my teacher did.

This will make my C on the Test to a B if i am right and the teacher is wrong...does anyone know

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. Granted, my first reaction would be to set it up like your teacher; however if you check the answers:

10*.5 = 5 miles
10*.2 = 2 miles
14*.5 = 7 miles

the distances are the same

10*.7 = 7 miles
10*.2 = 2 miles
14*.7 = 9.8 miles

the distances are different

Show your teacher this:
10*(t+1/5) = 14t
and tell him that this method (the equivalent of yours) gives the robber a 12 minute head start while his method
10t = 14(t-.2)
gives the sheriff a 12 minute un-head start at the sheriff's rate of speed.

14*.2 = 2.8

The sheriff's un-head start is worth the extra .8 miles.

Subtle!

Well, there is a simple way to check the answers without doing the problem again. The Robber has a 12 minute head start, whilst running at 10mph. So he is obviously 2 miles ahead. Now to test your solution, you say 1/2 an hour. So how far has the Sheriff gotten in 30minutes? Obviously 7 miles. How far has the Robber gotten? Another 5 miles, plus the 2 head start. Both result in having traveled 7 miles. So you answer is obviously correct.

EDIT: Ooh, only seconds before me lol.

FAQ: Kinematics Test Question: Can You Solve This Sheriff and Robber Pursuit Problem?

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of classical mechanics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It focuses on describing and analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects in motion.

2. What is the difference between kinematics and kinetics?

Kinematics and kinetics are both branches of classical mechanics, but they focus on different aspects of motion. Kinematics deals with the description and analysis of motion, while kinetics deals with the forces that cause motion.

3. What is a kinematic equation?

A kinematic equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between an object's position, velocity, and acceleration. These equations are derived from the laws of motion and can be used to solve problems involving motion.

4. How can kinematics be applied in real life?

Kinematics has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. It can be used to design and analyze the motion of machines and structures, predict the trajectory of projectiles, and improve athletic performance.

5. What are the three types of kinematics?

The three types of kinematics are linear kinematics, rotational kinematics, and circular kinematics. Linear kinematics deals with motion in a straight line, rotational kinematics deals with motion around an axis, and circular kinematics deals with motion in a circular path.

Back