Kinetic Energy Formula definition explanation

In summary, the kinetic energy of a point object or non-rotating rigid body in classical mechanics is equal to the mass multiplied by the square of the speed, multiplied by the constant 1/2. This is represented in the formula W = 1/2mv^2. The equation of motion for constant acceleration, V^2 - U^2 = 2AD, can also be expressed as W = F*D, where A is the acceleration vector, D is the displacement vector, and F is the force applied. To integrate the right hand side of this equation, the chain rule can be used to write acceleration as a function of velocity and position.
Selina94

Homework Statement

I'm trying to understand how this equation was came together, mainly, I hardly understand why velocity is squared, and why there's the constant of '1/2'.

Homework Equations

In classical mechanics, the kinetic energy of a point object (an object so small that its mass can be assumed to exist at one point), or a non-rotating rigid body depends on the mass of the body as well as its speed. The kinetic energy is equal to the mass multiplied by the square of the speed, multiplied by the constant 1/2. In formula form:
11e6fc84bb2641d36b09c5a6359f7c08.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Work done on an object and one of the equation of motion for constant acceleration :

V^2 - U^2 = 2AD (A= acceleration vector)(D= Displacement vector)(the rest is self explanatory)
W=F.D

Integrate the righthand side of
$$\int \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r} = \int m\vec{a}\cdot d\vec{r}$$ using the chain rule to write ##a_i = \frac{d v_i}{dt} = \frac{dv_i}{dx_i}\frac{dx_i}{dt}##.

FAQ: Kinetic Energy Formula definition explanation

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on both the object's mass and velocity.

What is the formula for kinetic energy?

The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity.

How do you calculate kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy can be calculated by using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity.

What are the units of kinetic energy?

The units of kinetic energy are Joules (J) in the SI system, and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

What is an example of kinetic energy?

One example of kinetic energy is a moving car. The car has both mass and velocity, and therefore possesses kinetic energy.

Back