Kinetic energy from rain drops

In summary, the question being discussed was whether all the kinetic energy of a raindrop is transferred to the ground upon impact or if some is absorbed by the drop to reshape itself. After considering the typical "crown" shape a drop produces upon impact, it was determined that some energy is used to create this shape, resulting in less energy being transferred to the ground. The new question is how much energy is lost in reshaping the drop and how much is actually transferred to the ground. References to research on this topic were also requested.
jvicens
Hi,
I searched some websites with information about average size and average speed of rain drops, which I used to calculate the kinetic energy of the rain drop just before it hits the ground.
My original question was: Is ALL this kinetic energy transferred to the ground (assume a non-elastic surface as ground, i.e., glass) or is some absorbed by the rain drop to re-shape itself as it decelerates until its velocity reaches zero?. Thinking twice about it and keeping in mind the typical “crown” shape a drop of water produces when it hits a flat surface, I’m now sure that some of the total kinetic energy carried by the drop just before it hits the floor should be used to split the original drop and “splash” small water drops back up to form the crown shape, decreasing in this way the amount of energy transferred to the ground.
Now my question has changed: Is this analysis correct? If the answer is YES, how would you estimate how much kinetic energy is lost in re-shaping the water drop and how much is actually transferred to the ground? :confused:
Any references to websites or papers/research?
Jorge

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to think about and research surface tension. Sorry, I can't provide any specifics off the top of my head.

Sorry that didn't see this before ... there have been works at least in fields of tribology and wear to study the behavior of rain drops, and all sorts of drops in general. I'd answer your question 'YES' in principle, but giving a quantified answer before "spending a week" doing a fluid-structure coupled analysis is beyond me. Can find some references about work done in this field if you're still interested?

Related to Kinetic energy from rain drops

What is kinetic energy from rain drops?

Kinetic energy from rain drops refers to the energy that is generated by the movement of rain drops as they fall from the sky to the ground.

How is kinetic energy from rain drops measured?

Kinetic energy from rain drops is typically measured in joules (J) or foot-pounds (ft-lb) depending on the unit system being used.

What factors affect the kinetic energy of rain drops?

The kinetic energy of rain drops can be affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the rain drops, the density of the air, and the velocity at which the drops are falling.

Can kinetic energy from rain drops be harnessed as a renewable energy source?

Yes, it is possible to harness the kinetic energy from rain drops as a renewable energy source through the use of rainwater harvesting systems. These systems collect rainwater and use the energy from the falling drops to power turbines and generate electricity.

How does kinetic energy from rain drops contribute to the water cycle?

The kinetic energy from rain drops is an essential part of the water cycle, as it allows water to move from the atmosphere to the ground and back again. When rain drops fall to the ground, they can replenish bodies of water and provide moisture for plants and animals. As the water evaporates and returns to the atmosphere, the kinetic energy of the rain drops helps drive the cycle.