Kinetic energy -- plot molecule frequency vs temperature

In summary, the speaker has been given a school assignment to study heat transfer in liquids and is interested in the kinetic energy of molecules and its relation to heat. They are looking for a way to record the frequency of molecules in a glass of water and plot it against temperature. Suggestions for experiments include connecting masspieces with springs to simulate heat transmission through solids, observing the diffusion of dye through water, and measuring the blocking of a finely tuned microwave by water at different temperatures. However, these methods may be too advanced for the speaker's purposes.
Niki
hi

I have been given an assignment at school to look at various ways heat is transferred through liquids. I'm interested in looking more into the kinetic energy of molecules and how their vibration causes heat, I would like to know if there is a device I could use to record the frequency of molecules in a glass of water, so I could plot molecule frequency vs temperature?

Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you can connect masspieces together with springs
and investigate the propagation of their oscillations through
the system? That will simulate the transmission of heat through
a solid and not a liquid though.

Niki said:
I'm interested in looking more into the kinetic energy of molecules and how their vibration causes heat,

The vibration is heat not the cause of heat.

If I remember correctly the average velocity of a molecule of water is in the order of 100's of meter per second.

Niki said:
frequency of molecules in a glass of water, so I could plot molecule frequency vs temperature?
Not sure what you mean by frequency here. Do you mean the proportion of molecules within a given energy band, or the speeds of the molecules?
You can get an indication of the speeds of the molecules by observing how fast a dye diffuses through the water. But quantifying this is quite advanced physics. See Brownian motion. You could certainly plot diffusion rate against temperature.
To get an idea of the distribution of speeds, maybe you could measure how well a low-power but finely tuned microwave is blocked by the water. The band of wavelengths blocked widens as the temperature rises because of the Doppler effect. Again, this sounds much too advanced for your purposes.

Related to Kinetic energy -- plot molecule frequency vs temperature

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is directly proportional to the mass of the object and the square of its velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy related to temperature?

Kinetic energy is directly related to temperature because temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. The higher the temperature, the greater the average kinetic energy of the particles.

3. What is the relationship between molecule frequency and temperature?

As temperature increases, the molecule frequency also increases. This is because higher temperatures cause particles to move faster, resulting in more collisions and an increase in molecule frequency.

4. How can kinetic energy and molecule frequency be represented on a plot?

Kinetic energy and molecule frequency can be represented on a plot by plotting kinetic energy on the y-axis and temperature on the x-axis. The resulting curve will show an increase in kinetic energy as temperature increases, indicating a direct relationship between the two. Molecule frequency can also be represented on the y-axis, showing an increase as temperature increases.

5. What is the significance of plotting molecule frequency vs temperature?

Plotting molecule frequency vs temperature allows us to visualize the relationship between these two variables and better understand how temperature affects the motion and behavior of particles. It is a useful tool in studying the kinetic energy of molecules and its relationship to temperature in various substances.