Kinetic energy transformed in a collision involving coalescing particles

In summary, when two particles collide, the kinetic energy is transferred to other forms of energy. The equation that is used to calculate this is the momentum conservation equation.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A particle of mass m has kinetic energy E when it collides with a stationary particle of mass M . The two particles coalesce.
Which of the following expressions gives the total kinetic energy transferred to other forms of energy in the collision?
Relevant Equations
Kinetic energy
Energy conservation
This problem got me kinda confused since I cannot really understand the question... who tells me how the energy dissipated in this case? Has it all transformed into heat to cause the coalesce of the two particles, or ar the two particles now merged together still traveling with a certain amount of kinetic energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
greg_rack said:
Homework Statement:: A particle of mass m has kinetic energy E when it collides with a stationary particle of mass M . The two particles coalesce.
Which of the following expressions gives the total kinetic energy transferred to other forms of energy in the collision?
Relevant Equations:: Kinetic energy
Energy conservation

This problem got me kinda confused since I cannot really understand the question... who tells me how the energy dissipated in this case? Has it all transformed into heat to cause the coalesce of the two particles, or ar the two particles now merged together still traveling with a certain amount of kinetic energy?
Momentum is conserved. Does that help?

PeroK said:
Momentum is conserved. Does that help?
Right, but I'm still stuck... don't I need a final velocity? And how does momentum relates to energy?

greg_rack said:
Right, but I'm still stuck... don't I need a final velocity? And how does momentum relates to energy?
What does the momentum conservation equation tell you?

PeroK said:
What does the momentum conservation equation tell you?
m1iv1i+m2iv2i=m1fv1f+m2fv2f
In that case, since the two coalesce, there will be only one final velocity

greg_rack said:
m1iv1i+m2iv2i=m1fv1f+m2fv2f
Okay, but the point of that equation isn't to quote it. It's to apply that equation to each specific problem.

PeroK said:
Okay, but the point of that equation isn't to quote it. It's to apply that equation to each specific problem.
In this case: mv1initial=vfinal(M+m)
And how does this relate to the "total kinetic energy transferred to other forms of energy in the collision"?

greg_rack said:
In this case: mv1initial=vfinal(M+m)
And how does this relate to the "total kinetic energy transferred to other forms of energy in the collision"?
Does that not give you the final velocity you were asking for?

greg_rack said:
Now the point is: what are we looking for? That's not clear to me, since how could we know in which other forms was the energy transformed? I don't know if you got what point I'm missing... its difficult to express some concepts in English :)
All they want is the kinetic energy that is lost: ##KE_i - KE_f##.

PeroK said:
All they want is the kinetic energy that is lost: ##KE_i - KE_f##.
Finally got it! So:
½mv12-½(M+m)((mv1)2/(M+m)2)

EDIT: and it works... thank you, I'm crying! 😂

Related to Kinetic energy transformed in a collision involving coalescing particles

1. What is kinetic energy transformed in a collision involving coalescing particles?

Kinetic energy transformed in a collision involving coalescing particles refers to the energy that is transferred or converted during a collision between two or more particles that combine to form a single particle.

2. How is kinetic energy transformed in a collision involving coalescing particles calculated?

The kinetic energy transformed in a collision involving coalescing particles can be calculated using the equation: KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the combined particles and v is the velocity of the combined particles.

3. What factors affect the amount of kinetic energy transformed in a collision involving coalescing particles?

The amount of kinetic energy transformed in a collision involving coalescing particles is affected by the mass and velocity of the particles involved, as well as the angle and speed of the collision.

4. How does the law of conservation of energy apply to kinetic energy transformed in a collision involving coalescing particles?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. This applies to kinetic energy transformed in a collision involving coalescing particles, as the total amount of kinetic energy before and after the collision remains the same.

5. Can the kinetic energy transformed in a collision involving coalescing particles be negative?

No, the kinetic energy transformed in a collision involving coalescing particles cannot be negative. This is because kinetic energy is a scalar quantity and is always positive, representing the energy of motion.