Kinetic Energy & Work Question? (Halliday, Resnick, Walker, 7e, Ch. 7 #39)

In summary, the problem involves a cart on a frictionless horizontal rail connected to a cord that is pulled over a pulley at a height of 1.20m. The cart moves from x1 = 3.00m to x2 = 1.00m with a constant tension of 25.0N in the cord. The goal is to find the change in kinetic energy of the cart during the move. The attempt at a solution involves calculating the angle of the cord using tan-1(1.2/2) and then using this angle to calculate the work done by the tension, which results in an incorrect answer. The correct solution involves considering that the angle θ is changing and using integration or conservation of
math_head7

Homework Statement

A cord is attached to a cart that can slide along a frictionless horizontal rail aligned along an x axis. The left end of the cord is pulled over a pulley, or negligible mass and friction and at cord height h = 1.20m, so the cart slides from x1 = 3.00m to x2 = 1.00m. During the move, the tension in the cord is a constant 25.0N. what is the change in the kinetic energy of the cart during the move?

Homework Equations

W=Fxcos[tex]\Theta[/tex]d ?
[tex]\Delta[/tex]K= 1/2mv22F - 1/2mv2I ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to find theta by doing tan-1(1.2/2) getting angle 31.96 degrees. I then plugged that into Fxcos(31.96)d = 25Ncos(31.96)2.00m = 42.9J which was my answer. But the book says it's 41.7J. I just can't figure it out...

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi math_head7! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a delta: ∆ and a degree: ° :wink:)

i assume the lower end of the string stays 1.2 m below the pulley, so that the angle changes?

you've calculated it as if the angle stays the same :redface:

you'll need to integrate (alternatively, there is a trick using conservation) :wink:

try again! :smile:

Thanks tiny-tim.

I didn't consider at all that θ was changing. Thanks to that advice I was able to figure it out.

FAQ: Kinetic Energy & Work Question? (Halliday, Resnick, Walker, 7e, Ch. 7 #39)

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object, and can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2mv².

2. How is kinetic energy different from potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. Kinetic energy is dependent on the object's velocity, while potential energy is dependent on factors such as height, position, and elastic properties.

3. Can kinetic energy be negative?

Yes, kinetic energy can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the defined positive direction. This can happen if the object is slowing down or changing direction.

4. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and work?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, which is often the result of work being done on an object. The work-energy theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the object.

5. How is kinetic energy conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total amount of kinetic energy remains constant, meaning it is conserved. This means that if one object gains kinetic energy, another object in the system must lose the same amount of kinetic energy. This is known as the law of conservation of energy.