Kinetic friction in a two mass, one pulley problem

In summary, the data suggests that the coefficient of kinetic friction increases with increased mass.
StonedPhysicist

Homework Statement

I have solved the problem where one mass m1 is on a horizontal frictional table connected to a mass m2 which is hanging off the table by a string over a pulley (assuming pulley massless), assuming that m2 is greater than m1 there is a net acceleration causing the mass 2 to fall down and the mass 1 to follow. The problem is that the equations suggest that an increased pulling force (i.e. larger m2) causes an increased coefficient of kinetic friction, furthermore I apply this formula to the data I have and indeed a larger hanging mass gives a greater kinetic friction coefficient. Is this correct? I would have thought it should not effect the coefficient.
upload_2016-2-2_15-31-43.png

Homework Equations

upload_2016-2-2_15-31-23.png

upload_2016-2-2_15-31-32.png

upload_2016-2-2_15-31-37.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution already obtained, the question is about the solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you hold your coefficient constant, what would have to change? Is there another term that might be variable in your equation?

RUber said:
If you hold your coefficient constant, what would have to change? Is there another term that might be variable in your equation?
the only other variables are m2 and of course the acceleration, but using the data i have for the acceleration which was found using a camera and tracking software, i still find an increasing coefficient of kinetic friction with increasing m2

That is interesting. You have data for the two different masses and the acceleration terms are the same?
I would recommend running a third test -- maybe with masses that are close to each other -- clearly acceleration will need to change at some point.

Coefficient of friction depends on the surface on which the mass under consideration moves/undergoes relative motion
It has nothing to do with the mass of the body which experiences the frictional force!

RUber said:
That is interesting. You have data for the two different masses and the acceleration terms are the same?
I would recommend running a third test -- maybe with masses that are close to each other -- clearly acceleration will need to change at some point.
no, the acceleration does increase with increasing m2, but so does the kinetic friction coefficient. My understanding is that the kinetic friction should be independent of m2 and thus independent of the acceleration but this does not seem to be the case.

UchihaClan13 said:
Coefficient of friction depends on the surface on which the mass under consideration moves/undergoes relative motion
It has nothing to do with the mass of the body which experiences the frictional force!
i agree, but the formula and my data do not seem to suggest this, my question is why

Could you provide an actual picture of the data you possess??
thanks
UchihaClan13

UchihaClan13 said:
Could you provide an actual picture of the data you possess??
thanks
UchihaClan13
Here is the data:
upload_2016-2-2_16-20-53.png

where the paper types are what m1 is being dragged over, and 30,40 and 50g corresponds to mass m2.

any more ideas?

Related to Kinetic friction in a two mass, one pulley problem

1. What is kinetic friction in a two mass, one pulley problem?

Kinetic friction in this context refers to the force that opposes the motion of an object on a surface, when the object is already in motion. In a two mass, one pulley problem, this friction is present between the two masses and the surface they are moving on.

2. How is kinetic friction calculated in this problem?

The kinetic friction force in this problem is calculated using the formula F = μk * N, where μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction and N is the normal force between the object and the surface. The normal force can be found by considering the weight of the object and any additional forces acting on it.

3. How does the presence of a pulley affect kinetic friction in this problem?

The pulley itself does not directly affect the kinetic friction in this problem, as the friction is still present between the masses and the surface. However, the presence of a pulley can change the direction of the forces and affect the overall motion of the system.

4. Is there a way to reduce or eliminate kinetic friction in a two mass, one pulley problem?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate kinetic friction in this problem, there are ways to reduce its effects. This can be done by using smoother surfaces, lubricants, or by adjusting the angle of the pulley to minimize the contact between the masses and the surface.

5. How does kinetic friction impact the overall motion of the system in a two mass, one pulley problem?

Kinetic friction plays a crucial role in determining the acceleration of the system. The friction force opposes the motion of the masses, therefore reducing their acceleration. This can result in a slower and more controlled motion of the system.