Kinetic friction on incline/flat surface system

In summary, the problem involves a mass sliding down an incline with a speed of 2.07 m/s and stopping at a distance of 1.9 m along a level surface. The angle of the incline is 32.50° and the coefficient of kinetic friction on the surface is to be calculated. The equations F=ma, v^2=v_0^2+2ax, and \mu_k=\frac{f}{F_n}=\frac{mgsin(\theta)-ma}{mgcos(\theta)} are used to try and solve for the acceleration on the incline, but the different accelerations on the incline and the level surface make it difficult to find the correct solution. Any help
XxBollWeevilx

Homework Statement

http://nplq1.phyast.pitt.edu/res/msu/physicslib/msuphysicslib/13_EnergyConservation/graphics/prob27a_MechEnWFriction.gif

When mass M is at the position shown, it is sliding down the inclined part of a slide at a speed of 2.07 m/s. The mass stops a distance S2 = 1.9 m along the level part of the slide. The distance S1 = 1.18 m and the angle q = 32.50°. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction for the mass on the surface.

Homework Equations

F=ma
[tex]v^2=v_0^2+2ax[/tex]
[tex]\mu_k=\frac{f}{F_n}=\frac{mgsin(\theta)-ma}{mgcos(\theta)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, I've been having trouble with this problem for a while now. Basicaly using the equations above I've tried to solve for a and plug that into the last formula there to get the coefficient of friction. However, this is proving to be very difficult for me, as I can't seem to combine the motion on the incline and the motion on the flat surface to find out what a on the incline is. I'm assuming that the accelerations are different for the two sections, and there is no indication that the coefficient is the same on the flat surface. I'm only interested in the friction on the incline, I believe.

Anyway, if anyone could offer a pointer I'd greatly appreciate it. I've been working on this a while and I can't seem to tell if I'm on the right track. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
wheres the picture?

I already posted the pic, maybe you can't see it for some reason. Here's a link:

EDIT: nevermind

Last edited:
It seems I can't post the picture because it's from a site that has to be logged into. Basically, to the left is an incline on which the block starts. The length of the incline is the s1 listed. Then at the bottom of the incline the path levels off and the length of the level part is s2. The block starts out on the top of the incline with the initial speed...this is the "position shown" referred to in the question.

ANY help would be super-appreciated.

No one has any clue?

bump

33pblev.gif

Related to Kinetic friction on incline/flat surface system

What is kinetic friction on an incline/flat surface system?

Kinetic friction on an incline/flat surface system refers to the force that opposes the motion of an object as it moves along a surface that is not perfectly smooth. This force is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surface of the object and the surface it is moving on, and it is dependent on the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces.

How is the coefficient of friction determined for an incline/flat surface system?

The coefficient of friction for an incline/flat surface system is determined by conducting experiments where the object is placed on different inclines or surfaces and the force required to keep it in motion is measured. The ratio of this force to the normal force (perpendicular to the surface) is the coefficient of friction.

What factors affect the amount of kinetic friction on an incline/flat surface system?

The amount of kinetic friction on an incline/flat surface system is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the object, and the angle of incline. The rougher the surfaces, the greater the weight of the object, and the steeper the incline, the greater the amount of kinetic friction.

How does the angle of incline affect the amount of kinetic friction?

The angle of incline has a direct impact on the amount of kinetic friction. As the incline becomes steeper, the normal force decreases while the force of gravity remains constant, resulting in a decrease in the coefficient of friction. This means that the object will require less force to maintain its motion on a steeper incline compared to a flatter incline.

What is the difference between kinetic and static friction on an incline/flat surface system?

Kinetic friction refers to the force that opposes the motion of an object as it moves along a surface, while static friction refers to the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. In the case of an incline/flat surface system, kinetic friction is present when the object is in motion, while static friction is present when the object is at rest and needs to be overcome to start moving.