Kinetic theory of an ideal monoatomic gas

In summary, the Wikipedia says that if we divide the average squared velocity by 3 to get the average squared x-component, then the solution is the same as if we just summed the x-components.
miikaelf
Hi everbody!

This has been bugging me for quite some time now, so I would be forever grateful and challenge you to think about this.

According to the Wikipedia (and phyiscs textbooks),

" Since the assumption is that the particles move in random directions, we will have to conclude that if we divide the velocity vectors of all particles in three mutually perpendicular directions, the average value along each direction must be same. (This does not mean that each particle always travel in 45 degrees to the coordinate axes.)
Therefore the velocity vector Vx2=V2/3.
"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_theory

My beef is with how they explain deriving the component vectors.
The velocity vectors (or their squares) are *vectors* and not scalar values, thus should be added and subtracted as vectors (see attachment).
This means that they *should NOT* be simply divided by three, but be dealt with as vectors.

No physics text I have come across so far has adressed this, so

a) Is this correct (I presume it is, otherwise my faith in humanity and physics will crumble to dust)

and

b) Why can we treat them as scalar values?

Thank you and have a happy new year!

Attachments

• Adding vectors.jpg
    Adding vectors.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 465
Physics news on Phys.org
They divide the average squared velocity (which is a scalar) by 3 to get the average squared x-component of the velocity (which is also a scalar).

In your sketch, ##|V_x|=\cos(\beta) |V|## (without squares), so ##V_x^2=\cos^2(\beta)V^2##. If you average the angle over the full sphere, you get a factor of 1/3 (it is easier to see in 2 dimensions, where cos^2 has an average of 1/2), so ##<V_x^2>=\frac{1}{3}<V^2>##.

Hey mfb

Thank you for answering; you are right, and what is more, the solution you came upon using the average of cos is quite an interesting one, cheers!
Between the time of posting this question and your answer, I came to the same conclusion, however using pythagorean theorem instead.
Still, yours is much more interesting, so thanks again.

FAQ: Kinetic theory of an ideal monoatomic gas

1. What is the kinetic theory of an ideal monoatomic gas?

The kinetic theory of an ideal monoatomic gas is a model that describes the behavior of a gas at a macroscopic level by considering the motion of its individual particles. It assumes that the gas particles are point masses with no volume, and that there are no attractive or repulsive forces between them.

2. What are the main assumptions of the kinetic theory of an ideal monoatomic gas?

The main assumptions of the kinetic theory of an ideal monoatomic gas are:
- The gas particles are point masses with no volume
- The gas particles are in constant random motion
- The collisions between particles and with the walls of the container are perfectly elastic
- There are no attractive or repulsive forces between particles
- The particles do not interact with each other except during collisions

3. How does temperature affect the kinetic energy of gas particles?

According to the kinetic theory of an ideal monoatomic gas, the average kinetic energy of gas particles is directly proportional to the temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, so does the average kinetic energy of the particles. This relationship is known as the kinetic theory of temperature.

4. What is the relationship between pressure and volume in an ideal monoatomic gas?

The kinetic theory of an ideal monoatomic gas states that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and the number of particles present, and inversely proportional to its volume. This means that as the volume of the gas decreases, the pressure increases, and vice versa.

5. Can the kinetic theory of an ideal monoatomic gas be applied to real gases?

The assumptions of the kinetic theory of an ideal monoatomic gas do not hold true for real gases, as they have volume and experience intermolecular forces. However, this theory is still useful in understanding the behavior of real gases at high temperatures and low pressures, and can be used as a starting point for more complex models.

Back