[Kinetic Theory] Speed of diffusion.

In summary: The independence of the area and volume is a result of the simplifying assumptions you made in obtaining the distribution function. In a more realistic scenario, they would likely affect the mean speed in some way. But for the purposes of this calculation, it should be fine. In summary, the mean speed of molecules escaping through a hole of area \sigma from a vessel with volume V and molecules mass m is given by the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution Function as \sqrt {\frac {9 \pi k T}{8 m}}. This is obtained by dividing the integral of the distribution function for escaping molecules by the total number of escaping molecules per unit time. The independence of area and volume in this calculation is due to simplifying assumptions.
Sabian

Homework Statement

Find the mean speed of the molecules escaping through a hole of area [itex]\sigma[/itex]. The vessel has volume [itex]V[/itex] and the molecules mass [itex]m[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]dN_w^e = \frac {dA}{4V} w \frac{dN_w}{dw} dw[/itex] [itex]w[/itex] is the speed.

[itex]dN_w = \frac {4N}{\sqrt \pi c^3} w^2 \exp {\frac {-w^2}{c^2} }dw[/itex], which if [itex]c=\sqrt {frac {2KT}{m}} is the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution Function.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the first thing I did was integrate the escapes molecules through the area... as I found no dependence of the speed and the area (is this correct?), getting

[itex]dN_w^e = \frac {\sigma}{4V} w \frac{dN_w}{dw} dw_e[/itex]

Then using a M-B distribution for the molecules

[itex]dN_w^e = \frac {\sigma}{4V} w \frac {4N}{\sqrt \pi c^3} w^2 \exp {\frac {-w^2}{c^2} } dw[/itex]

[itex]dN_w^e = \frac {\sigma}{V} \frac {N}{\sqrt \pi c^3} w^3 \exp {\frac {-w^2}{c^2} } dw[/itex]

The if I want to find the mean speed it should be

[itex]\bar w_e = \frac {1}{N_e}\int w dN_w^e [/itex] where [itex]N_e[/itex] should be the number of escaping molecules right? But as I wasn't figuring out how to resolve that so I divided by the total number molecules of the system. ----PLEASE WRITE ME SOME WORDS ABOUT THIS---

[itex]\bar w_e = \frac {\sigma}{\sqrt \pi c^3 V} \int_0^{\infty} w^3 \exp {\frac {-w^2}{c^2} } dw [/itex] which I think it is

[itex] \bar w_e = \frac {\sigma}{\sqrt \pi c^3 V} \frac{3\sqrt {\pi c^5}}{8} = \frac {3 \sigma c^2}{8V} = \frac {3}{8} \frac {\sigma}{V} \frac {2kT}{m} [/itex]

Which has units of acceleration, no speed. Then I realized that the distribution I was getting was molecules exiting the vessel per unit of time which made me conclude that the calculation made sense but in that case I've no idea how to estimate the mean speed of the molecules exiting the vessel.

Excuse me if the errors are quite stupid, I couldn't read much about Kinetic Theory until now.

Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sabian said:
[itex]\bar w_e = \frac {1}{N_e}\int w dN_w^e [/itex] where [itex]N_e[/itex] should be the number of escaping molecules right? But as I wasn't figuring out how to resolve that so I divided by the total number molecules of the system. ----PLEASE WRITE ME SOME WORDS ABOUT THIS---
##dN_w^e## is your distribution function for number of particles escaping at speed w per unit time. As you said, you need to "normalize" by dividing by the total number of particles escaping (at all speeds) per unit of time, not the total number of particles in the system. What would you do to ##dN_w^e## to get the total number escaping per unit time?

Sabian said:
[itex]\bar w_e = \frac {\sigma}{\sqrt \pi c^3 V} \int_0^{\infty} w^3 \exp {\frac {-w^2}{c^2} } dw [/itex] which I think it is

Do you have the correct power of ##w## in the integrand?

You are rigut, it's [itex]w^4[/itex] but the result of the integral is right anyway.

So I should divide by the integral of [itex]dN_w^e[/itex] over all speeds, which I think it is:

[itex]\frac {\sigma N}{sqrt \pi V c^3} . \frac {c^4}{2} = \frac {\sigma N c}{2 \sqrt \pi V} [/itex]

The I have

[itex] \frac { \frac {\sigma N } {\sqrt \pi V c^3} \int_0^{\infty} w^4 \exp{\frac {-w^2}{c^2} } dw} { N_e^w }[/itex]

which is

[itex] \frac { \frac {3 \sigma N c^2}{8 V} }{ \frac {\sigma N c}{2 \sqrt \pi V } } = \frac {6 \sqrt \pi c}{8} = \sqrt {\frac {18 \pi k T} {16 m} } = \sqrt {\frac {9 \pi k T}{8 m}}[/itex]Which now, AT LEAST, has units of speed. Is this result okey? I find weird the independence of both area and volume.Thanks a lot for the help TSny

Last edited:
Yes, that looks correct to me.

Related to [Kinetic Theory] Speed of diffusion.

1. What is the kinetic theory?

The kinetic theory is a scientific model that explains the behavior of particles in matter. It states that all matter is made up of tiny particles in constant motion, and that the temperature of a substance is directly related to the average kinetic energy of its particles.

2. What is diffusion?

Diffusion is the process by which particles move from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. This movement occurs due to the random motion of particles and is driven by the principle of entropy, which states that systems tend to move towards a state of greater disorder.

3. How does temperature affect the speed of diffusion?

According to the kinetic theory, as temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of particles also increases. This means that particles move faster and collide more frequently, leading to an increase in the speed of diffusion.

4. What factors can affect the speed of diffusion?

The speed of diffusion can be affected by several factors, including temperature, density, and molecular size. Higher temperatures, lower densities, and smaller molecules all tend to increase the speed of diffusion.

5. How is the speed of diffusion related to the size of particles?

The size of particles can impact the speed of diffusion. Smaller particles have a higher average kinetic energy and therefore move faster, leading to a faster diffusion rate. Larger particles move more slowly and have a lower diffusion rate.