Kinetics friction question: derive acceleration of aircraft

In summary, the conversation is about a mechanical engineering student seeking help with a question regarding an aircraft catapult system. The student is unsure about the direction of friction forces for each mass and the tension in the rope. They discuss the forces acting on the aircraft and draw free body diagrams for both masses. They also consider the acceleration of mass A in terms of mass B and eliminate the tension in the rope to solve the problem. Eventually, they reach the correct conclusion for the acceleration of the aircraft.
LauraMorrison
1. Hello there, I am a first year undergraduate mechanical engineering student, looking for help on a question. "Figure Q2 shoes a schematic diagram for an aircraft catapult system. The aircraft is represented by the mass A (Ma), and μ is the coefficient of friction between the aircraft and deck. Mass B (Mb) represents the mass of the catapult system. Show that the acceleration of the aircraft is given by:
[itex]\ddot{x}[/itex]a = (-2P + μMag)/(Ma + 4Mb)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90819422@N06/8247087046/in/photostream/

2. ƩF = ma

3. I first drew out the FBD of the two masses. I was unsure of the direction of the friction forces for each mass and if there even is a friction force for mass B? I was also unsure if the tension in the rope at mass B is equal to the force P? I have also attached the figure in this post. Please Help, my exam is next week!

Attachments

• FigureQ2.jpg
    FigureQ2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 402
Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot see your figure but am able to see your FBD, the tension in a rope should be uniform throughout the length of a rope, so by drawing a FBD for only Mass B what is the tension in the rope? There is no mention of a friction coefficient at Mass B so assume there are none and only at mass A.
What is the forces acting on the aircraft(Mass A)? Draw a FBD for mass A alone...

I assume then that the tension in the rope at B is P, and the tension at A is 2P? However, doing this means that when I write F=ma for mass B, the sum of the forces in the x direction is zero since P and P cancel out? Surely this cannot be right?

Yes I agree, must have put that wrong, draw FBD's for both your masses. Let's start there and give the tension in your rope a value of T...
Draw this and let's move from there. Choose a positive direction for your axis.
Also from inspection what do you think the acceleration of A would be in terms of the acceleration of B?

Hi there, I have done the FBD for both masses and I have got to a certain point but I am stuck on mass B as the acceleration keeps adding to zero.. making it hard to do anything with the equation! I have attached my working to this message. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• P1000058.jpg
    P1000058.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 441
So the equations you have is:
-T_a + μM_ag = m_a*x_a for A
note x_a is acceleration of a...
-T_b + P = m_b*x_b
note x_b is acceleration of b...
you stated that T_a = 2T_b so substitute that into equation 1.

You state that Tb = -P? This should not be assumed, because that will result in no acceleration indeed...
Try defining equation 2 in terms of T_b, and substitute that into equation 1 in the place of T_b, see where I'm going with this? you now eliminated T_b to get P into your equation... We will work from there.

YES! I got it.
So the acceleration of A is -0.5 * the acceleration of B? and then substituting equation 2 into equation one along with the acceleration of A gives the correct answer. Thanks so much!

YES! Big pleasure glad I could help...

FAQ: Kinetics friction question: derive acceleration of aircraft

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration?

The formula for calculating acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

2. How does friction affect the acceleration of an aircraft?

Friction affects the acceleration of an aircraft by opposing the motion of the aircraft. This means that the aircraft will require more force to overcome the friction and accelerate.

3. How do you derive the acceleration of an aircraft?

To derive the acceleration of an aircraft, you need to consider all the forces acting on the aircraft, including friction. You can then use Newton's Second Law of Motion (F = ma) to determine the acceleration of the aircraft.

4. How does the mass of the aircraft affect its acceleration?

The mass of the aircraft directly affects its acceleration. A heavier aircraft will require more force to accelerate compared to a lighter aircraft.

5. How can you reduce friction and improve the acceleration of an aircraft?

To reduce friction and improve the acceleration of an aircraft, you can use materials with lower coefficients of friction, such as smooth and aerodynamic surfaces. Additionally, regularly maintaining and lubricating the moving parts of the aircraft can also help reduce friction and improve its acceleration.

Back