Kink/Buckling Homework: Calculating Maximum Force w/ E295 Steel

• Thread starter buell23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of maximum force on a steel shaft loaded by pressure force and determining if it is a kink according to Euler's formula. The value of Lambda_p is mentioned as an empirical value for various types of steel, and if Lambda is less than Lambda_p, the Tetmajer method should be used.
buell23
Hello

I have a steel shaft which is loaded by a pressure force in axis direction.
If I want to calculate the maximum force I have to proof if this is a kink according to Euler or not.

For steel E295 there is a Lambda_p = 89

In my case I calculated that Lambda is 125 --> Lk/i --> i = sqrt(I/A)

Now my question is: What if Lambda is lower than Lambda_p?
What do I have to do in this case?

Engineering news on Phys.org
buell23: How is lambda_p computed?

nvn said:
buell23: How is lambda_p computed?

Hi

Thats an empiric value for diverse steel. For S235JR for example 104.

But I looked for it in the internet. If Lambda < Lambda_p, we have to use way of Tetmajer.

Related to Kink/Buckling Homework: Calculating Maximum Force w/ E295 Steel

1. What is kink/buckling and why is it important to calculate the maximum force?

Kink/buckling is a phenomenon in which a slender structural element, such as a beam or column, fails due to compressive stress. It is important to calculate the maximum force that a material can withstand before buckling occurs in order to ensure the safety and stability of structures. If the maximum force is exceeded, the structural element may fail, leading to potential damage or collapse.

2. How do you calculate the maximum force for E295 steel?

The maximum force for E295 steel can be calculated using the Euler buckling equation: F = π²EI / L², where F is the maximum compressive force, E is the modulus of elasticity for E295 steel, I is the second moment of area, and L is the length of the structural element.

3. What factors can affect the maximum force for E295 steel?

The maximum force for E295 steel can be affected by several factors, including the length and cross-sectional area of the structural element, the material properties of E295 steel, and the boundary conditions of the structure.

4. Can the maximum force for E295 steel be increased?

Yes, the maximum force for E295 steel can be increased by increasing the second moment of area, which can be achieved by using a thicker or wider structural element. Additionally, using a higher grade of steel with a higher modulus of elasticity can also increase the maximum force.

5. How does temperature affect the maximum force for E295 steel?

Temperature can affect the maximum force for E295 steel by changing the material properties, such as the modulus of elasticity. As the temperature increases, the modulus of elasticity decreases, which can decrease the maximum force that E295 steel can withstand before buckling occurs. It is important to consider the effects of temperature when calculating the maximum force for E295 steel in real-world applications.