Kirchhoff's Rule and finding current with a system of equations

In summary: If they want the potential magnitude, then you would just add everything up and would be done. If they want the potential between points in a particular direction, then you would need to take into account the direction of current flow as well as the resistance values.
MeMoses

Homework Statement

Using Kirchhoff's rules, calculate the current in R1 with the directions indicated in the figure above. Assume that R1 = 1.00kΩ, R2 = 3.00kΩ, R3 = 5.00kΩ, E1 = 75.0V, E2 = 65.0V and E3 = 85.0V.

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's rules

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Kirchhoff's rules I can get I2 = I1 + I3. Which so far is the only thing I'm certain is correct. Next I need two equations from the loops (left and right) and then just solve the system of equations. I don't know if I am setting these up wrong but none of my answers have been correct thus far. I got:
E1 - R1I1 - R2I2 - E2 = 0 and E2 - R2I2 - E2 - I3R3 = 0
which come out to
10 - I1 - 3(I2) = 0 and 20 - 3(I2) - 5(I3) = 0
which results with I1 = 0.869 = 0.000869A when taking into account the resistances were kiloohms. Neither of these answers are correct. Calculations shouldn;t be the problems either because I've been lazy and just plugging into wolfram alpha to solve the systems of equations. I assume I am doing something wrong with equations 2 and 3. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• kirchhoff.gif
    kirchhoff.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 537
Physics news on Phys.org
You may have slipped a sign somewhere or found the current assuming the opposite direction from that indicated. The magnitude of the value you found looks okay to me.

thanks, apparently all the answers were just negative

I thought I was done, but I have to calculate the potential between point c and f. I thought it would be E2 (65V) + I2R2 (-3.04mA*3kQ = -9.12V) = 55.9V. The parentheses there were just to clarify the values. This answer is not correct. What do I need to calculate the potential difference here, or do I just add them? If so, is there any easy way to keep track of these positives and negative which just seem to confuse things?

MeMoses said:
I thought I was done, but I have to calculate the potential between point c and f. I thought it would be E2 (65V) + I2R2 (-3.04mA*3kQ = -9.12V) = 55.9V. The parentheses there were just to clarify the values. This answer is not correct. What do I need to calculate the potential difference here, or do I just add them? If so, is there any easy way to keep track of these positives and negative which just seem to confuse things?

They seem to be trying to trip you up with sign conventions! The reality is, current is flowing from node c towards node f (they have I2 pointing upwards). So the value you obtained for I2 is negative, right?

So, proceeding from node f up through R2 there should be a voltage rise R2*|I2|. Then another rise as you go through E2. Now the question becomes, when they ask for the potential between c and f, do they want just the magnitude or are they implying a particular direction?

FAQ: Kirchhoff's Rule and finding current with a system of equations

1. What is Kirchhoff's Rule?

Kirchhoff's Rule, also known as Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws, are two fundamental principles in electrical circuit analysis. They are used to determine the current and voltage in a circuit, and are based on the principles of conservation of charge and energy.

2. What is the first rule of Kirchhoff's Rule?

The first rule, also known as Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL), states that the sum of the currents entering a node or junction in a circuit must equal the sum of the currents leaving that node. This is based on the principle of conservation of charge.

3. What is the second rule of Kirchhoff's Rule?

The second rule, also known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL), states that the sum of the voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit must equal the sum of the voltage sources in that loop. This is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

4. How do you find current using Kirchhoff's Rule?

To find current using Kirchhoff's Rule, you can set up a system of equations using KCL and KVL and solve for the unknown currents. This involves assigning variables to the currents, setting up equations based on KCL and KVL, and then solving the equations simultaneously to find the values of the unknown currents.

5. Can Kirchhoff's Rule be applied to any circuit?

Kirchhoff's Rule can be applied to any circuit, whether it is a simple series or parallel circuit or a more complex circuit with multiple branches and loops. This is because the principles of conservation of charge and energy hold true in all circuits, and Kirchhoff's Rule is based on these principles.

Back