Kirchhoff's Rule: Maximize Dissipation Rate

• Thread starter StarMan1234
  • Start date
In summary: Just guide the OP.In summary, the problem asks for the value of R3 that maximizes the dissipation rate in resistance 3. By using Kirchhoff's laws and manipulating the equations, it can be shown that the voltage across R2 and R3 is the same. After isolating the voltage, it can be expressed as a function of R3. By substituting this expression into the power dissipation equation, P=U^2/R3, and taking the derivative with respect to R3, we can find the value of R3 that maximizes the dissipation rate. This value can be found by setting the derivative equal to zero and solving for R3. Alternatively, this problem can be solved using the Theven
StarMan1234

Homework Statement

In the figure R1 = 2.22 Ω, R2 = 5.08 Ω, and the battery is ideal. What value of R3 maximizes the dissipation rate in resistance 3?

R2 and R3 are wired in parallel to each other. R1 is in series with the combination of R2 and R3. Emf is not given.

Homework Equations

E-I1R1-I2R2=0 (first loop)
E-I1R1-I3R3=0 (second loop)
1/R= sum of 1/R for parallel resistors
R= R1+... RN for series resistors
P=IV=I^2*R=V^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by solving the system of equations for the loops. So, I2R2=I3R3. I know the sum of the currents for resistors 2 and 3 is equal to the current through resistor 1. I know I need to take the derivative of an expression for power and set it equal to zero to maximize the dissipation rate. I am having a lot of trouble formulating the power expression however. I understand voltage is equivalent in parallel resistors and current is equivalent in parallel resistors, but I am not sure which is the proper way to form the power function.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the resistance of the entire group (it will be a function of R3), let's call it R(R3). Then the current through the entire group is I = V/R(R3).

The current J through R3 is I minus the current through R1R2.

The dissipated power is J2R3.

StarMan1234 said:

Homework Statement

In the figure R1 = 2.22 Ω, R2 = 5.08 Ω, and the battery is ideal. What value of R3 maximizes the dissipation rate in resistance 3?

R2 and R3 are wired in parallel to each other. R1 is in series with the combination of R2 and R3. Emf is not given.

Homework Equations

E-I1R1-I2R2=0 (first loop)
E-I1R1-I3R3=0 (second loop)
1/R= sum of 1/R for parallel resistors
R= R1+... RN for series resistors
P=IV=I^2*R=V^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by solving the system of equations for the loops. So, I2R2=I3R3. I know the sum of the currents for resistors 2 and 3 is equal to the current through resistor 1. I know I need to take the derivative of an expression for power and set it equal to zero to maximize the dissipation rate. I am having a lot of trouble formulating the power expression however. I understand voltage is equivalent in parallel resistors and current is equivalent in parallel resistors, but I am not sure which is the proper way to form the power function.

You can do what voko suggested, writing up the resultant resistance, but the problem can be solved also by Kirchhoff's laws.
You can assume any value for the emf. Let it be E=10 V. You have shown that the voltage across both R3 and R2 is the same, call it U. How can you write up I2 and I3 with U and the resistances?

You have shown also the equation for the first loop:E-I1R1-I2R2=0 . With U, it is E-I1R1-U=0. Isolate I1.

All currents expressed with U, substitute them into the equation for the currents I1=I2+I3, and isolate U as function of R3.

The power dissipated on R3 can be written as P=U2/R3. It is function of R3. Minimise.

ehild

Last edited:
Hey ehild,

I isolated I1.
I1= (E-U)/R1

I2=U/R2
I3=U/R3
I1=(U/R2)+(U/R3)
I don't know how solve this equation for U as a function of R3. I'm really stuck.

But if you can help me to do that, then I think I can use that equation by plugging it into P=U^2/R3, taking the derivative and setting it equal to zero. Can anyone help with this?

Let A and B be the terminals of R3. Take out R3. Take out battery. What is the equivalent resistance? That's the resistance that maximizes dissipation in R3. Simple like that

R2//R1 = 5.08*2.22/7.3 = 1.54 Ω

StarMan1234 said:
Hey ehild,

I isolated I1.
I1= (E-U)/R1

I2=U/R2
I3=U/R3
I1=(U/R2)+(U/R3)

Plug in (E-U)/R1 for I1: (E-U)/R1=(U/R2)+(U/R3). E is just a constant. If it is easier for you, add it a numerical value. Isolate U.

ehild

jaumzaum: The rule of this Forum is that we do not give out full solution. Using Thevenin equivalent is the easiest method, but it is not sure that the OP learned about it, or he knows that the optimum load is equal to the internal resistance of the source.

ehild

I have U= (E/R1)/((1/R1)+(1/R2)+(1/R3))

But what I don't understand is how to solve it in terms of R3 like you said. This equation just looks like a mess.

Plug in the numerical data and call 1/R3=x. Find the derivative of xU2

ehild

ehild said:
jaumzaum: The rule of this Forum is that we do not give out full solution. Using Thevenin equivalent is the easiest method, but it is not sure that the OP learned about it, or he knows that the optimum load is equal to the internal resistance of the source.

ehild

Sorry.
I just found useful the OP compared both solutions to see how the theorem can simplify a lot the exercise itself. This problem is asking to be solved by thevenín :)

Well, it is useful, but the rules do not allow it. You can guide the OP.
I haven't seen the picture in the original post.

ehild

jaumzaum said:
Sorry.
I just found useful the OP compared both solutions to see how the theorem can simplify a lot the exercise itself. This problem is asking to be solved by thevenín :)

It is not allowed to give solutions. Please don't do this ever again.

FAQ: Kirchhoff's Rule: Maximize Dissipation Rate

1. What is Kirchhoff's Rule: Maximize Dissipation Rate?

Kirchhoff's Rule, also known as the Second Law of Thermodynamics, states that all natural processes tend towards maximizing the dissipation rate of energy.

2. How does Kirchhoff's Rule relate to entropy?

Kirchhoff's Rule is closely related to entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. The rule states that natural processes tend towards increasing entropy, or maximizing the dissipation rate of energy.

3. Can Kirchhoff's Rule be violated?

Kirchhoff's Rule is a fundamental law of thermodynamics and has been extensively tested and confirmed through scientific experiments. Therefore, it cannot be violated.

4. What is the practical application of Kirchhoff's Rule?

Kirchhoff's Rule has many practical applications, such as in the design of efficient heat engines, refrigeration systems, and chemical reactions. It also helps us understand and predict the behavior of natural systems.

5. Is there any connection between Kirchhoff's Rule and the laws of motion?

There is no direct connection between Kirchhoff's Rule and the laws of motion. However, both are fundamental laws of physics that govern the behavior of natural systems and are crucial in understanding the world around us.