Kirchoff's current law for an opamp

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to apply Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) to an op-amp circuit by drawing a closed boundary around the op-amp and its connected wires. The goal is to find the relative magnitudes of the currents going into and out of the op-amp. The significance of these relative magnitudes is important in understanding the behavior of the op-amp circuit.
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/3939/opamp.jpg

Draw an imaginary boundary around the op-amp, and apply KCL at the five wires that intersect the boundary

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having quite a problem understanding the question above... which boundary should I draw around? Could someone point this out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You draw a closed line around the op-amp that contains only the opamp and a part of the 5 wires that connect to it. According to KCL the sum of all the currents going into the opamp
must be 0.

This is an extremely unhelpful exercise, if the goal is understanding op-amps.

so is it:
i2 + i3 + i7 -i4 - i6 = 0

is this true?

based on the number that is there?

-EquinoX- said:
so is it:
i2 + i3 + i7 -i4 - i6 = 0

is this true?

based on the number that is there?

Yes. Of course, with an ideal op-amp I2 and i3 will be 0.

Now what does it mean when the question asks:

Discuss the significance of the relative current magnitudes??

what kind of answer should I provide?

I2 will be very small, and I3 will be very small .
which of the other currents would YOU like to be small?
Tell where you think most of the current comes from, and where most of it goes to .

Related to Kirchoff's current law for an opamp

1. What is Kirchoff's current law for an opamp?

Kirchoff's current law for an opamp states that the sum of all currents entering and exiting the input terminals of an opamp is equal to zero. This means that the input current at the non-inverting terminal is equal to the input current at the inverting terminal.

2. Why is Kirchoff's current law important for opamps?

Kirchoff's current law is important for opamps because it allows us to analyze the behavior of the opamp circuit and make accurate predictions about its output. It also helps us ensure that the opamp is operating within its limits and not drawing excessive current.

3. How is Kirchoff's current law applied in opamp circuits?

In opamp circuits, Kirchoff's current law is applied by assuming that no current flows into the input terminals of the opamp. This allows us to simplify the analysis of the circuit and make use of other laws, such as Kirchoff's voltage law, to solve for the output voltage.

4. Can Kirchoff's current law be violated in opamp circuits?

Technically, yes, Kirchoff's current law can be violated in opamp circuits. However, this would only occur in extreme cases where the opamp is not functioning properly or is operating outside of its recommended conditions. In most practical cases, Kirchoff's current law is valid for opamp circuits.

5. What are some common misconceptions about Kirchoff's current law for opamps?

One common misconception is that Kirchoff's current law only applies to DC circuits. In reality, it is also applicable to AC circuits and can be used to analyze the behavior of opamps in both DC and AC conditions. Another misconception is that Kirchoff's current law is only valid for ideal opamps, but it can also be applied to real-world opamps with some modifications.