Kirchoff's Voltage Rule & Charged Capacitor Voltage

• Thread starter Chemmjr18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rules
Kirchoff's voltage rule can be used to find the voltage across a charged capacitor in a circuit, even if you don't have a specific circuit in mind. It may seem counterintuitive at first, but if you apply KVL and KCL strictly, you will get the right answer. It may help to look at some worked examples and familiarize yourself with the concepts. There is plenty of evidence to support Kirchoff's rules, so don't be discouraged. In summary, Kirchoff's voltage rule is a useful tool for finding the voltage across a charged capacitor in a circuit, and with practice, it can become more intuitive.
Chemmjr18
Can I use Kirchoff's voltage rule to find the voltage across a charged capacitor? I don't really have a concrete.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why would you think not? One plate is positive, the other equally negative, meaning the sum is zero.

Chemmjr18 said:
Can I use Kirchoff's voltage rule to find the voltage across a charged capacitor? I don't really have a concrete.
Do you have a specific circuit in mind?

Chemmjr18 said:
It may not be intuitive but if you apply KVL and KCL strictly, you get the right answer. Once you have found that it actually works, you may not find it so counter intuitive. Find some worked examples and go through them. There are zillions of hits at all sorts of levels if you search for Kirchoff RLC calculations.
Repetition gives familiarity gives acceptance eventually.
YE Gods! That reads like a religious doctrine. The difference is that there is evidence to prove this stuff.

Likes Chemmjr18
Kirchoff's Rules

Indeed they do.

Likes Chemmjr18

FAQ: Kirchoff's Voltage Rule & Charged Capacitor Voltage

1. What is Kirchoff's Voltage Rule?

Kirchoff's Voltage Rule, also known as Kirchoff's Second Law, states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop circuit is equal to the sum of all voltage sources in that loop.

2. How is Kirchoff's Voltage Rule applied in circuit analysis?

Kirchoff's Voltage Rule is used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage drops and sources in a closed loop circuit. By using this rule, we can create equations that represent the voltage drops and sources in the circuit, which can then be solved to find the unknown voltages.

3. What is a charged capacitor voltage?

A charged capacitor voltage is the potential difference across a capacitor that has been charged with electrical energy. It is measured in volts and is dependent on the capacitance of the capacitor and the amount of charge stored on its plates.

4. How does charged capacitor voltage change over time?

When a capacitor is charging, the voltage across it increases until it reaches the same potential as the voltage source. Once the capacitor is fully charged, the voltage across it remains constant. If the voltage source is removed, the capacitor will discharge and the voltage across it will decrease over time.

5. How do Kirchoff's Voltage Rule and charged capacitor voltage relate?

Kirchoff's Voltage Rule is used to analyze the voltage drops and sources in a circuit, including the voltage across a charged capacitor. The voltage across a charged capacitor is included in the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop circuit as stated in Kirchoff's Voltage Rule.

Back