Kleppner/Kolenkow Pulley Example

In summary, Kleppner/Kolenkow teaches students how to solve equations, but the example provided is proving to be difficult to follow. The student has tried expanding the terms and trying another approach, but has not had any success. The student would like some help and is asking for the community's advice.
Cosmophile

Homework Statement

[/B]
Hey, all. I am working through Kleppner/Kolenkow and encountered a problem when trying to follow the example pictured below. My issues comes when they say "Equations (1)-(3) are easily solved..."

As it turns out, they are not so easily solved for me! So, it appears I've found a hole in my mathematical training that needs to be filled (K&K have proved to be good at exposing these weak spots).
e8e583d28b.png

Homework Equations

All pictured above.

The Attempt at a Solution

Frankly, I'm not sure where to begin. I've tried expanding the ##\ddot{y_1}## and ##\ddot{y_2}## terms using ##(3)##, but the equations quickly become quite long. I haven't had the time to really sit down and see if they eventually clean up nicely and give the desired result, but truth be told, I don't feel too confident going into this and would love some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Build confidence by starting off with A = 0 !
Take your time to really sit down and try another tack if things still become too complicated.

Likes Cosmophile
Cosmophile said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Hey, all. I am working through Kleppner/Kolenkow and encountered a problem when trying to follow the example pictured below. My issues comes when they say "Equations (1)-(3) are easily solved..."

As it turns out, they are not so easily solved for me! So, it appears I've found a hole in my mathematical training that needs to be filled (K&K have proved to be good at exposing these weak spots).
[ IMG]http://puu.sh/mWaau/e8e583d28b.png[/PLAIN]

Homework Equations

All pictured above.

The Attempt at a Solution

Frankly, I'm not sure where to begin. I've tried expanding the ##\ddot{y_1}## and ##\ddot{y_2}## terms using ##(3)##, but the equations quickly become quite long. I haven't had the time to really sit down and see if they eventually clean up nicely and give the desired result, but truth be told, I don't feel too confident going into this and would love some help.
First of all, you may have noticed that the xp in the figure should have been yp .

Solve Eq.(3) for either ##\ \ddot y_1\ ## or ##\ \ddot y_2\ .\ ## Plug the result into Eq (1) or (2).

etc.

Likes Cosmophile
Update: Got it! I can type up my solution if you guys would like to see it.

Cosmophile said:
Update: Got it! I can type up my solution if you guys would like to see it.
Sure. Why not?

SammyS said:
Sure. Why not?

I actually solved it right before you posted your advice (I solved it in the same way):

I solved Eq. (3) for ##\ddot {y_2}## and plugged that solution into Eq. (2). This gave [tex] T = W_2 + M_2 (2A - \ddot{y_1}) [/tex]
I then set the right-hand sides of Eq. (1) and Eq. (2) together: [tex] W_1 + M_1 \ddot {y_1} = W_2 + M_2 \ddot {y_2} [/tex]
From here, it was just a matter for breaking down the ##W## terms into their corresponding ##M_ig## terms and rearranging:

[tex] M_1g+M_1 \ddot{y_1} = M_2g + 2A M_2 - M_2 \ddot {y_1} [/tex]
[tex] \ddot{y_1} =(2A+g) \frac {M_2 - M_1g}{M_1 + M_2} [/tex]

To solve for ##T##, I simply plugged this result into Eq. (1), and the desired result followed immediately.

FAQ: Kleppner/Kolenkow Pulley Example

1. What is the Kleppner/Kolenkow Pulley Example?

The Kleppner/Kolenkow Pulley Example is a classic physics problem that involves a system of pulleys and masses connected by strings. It is commonly used to illustrate the principles of mechanical advantage and energy conservation.

2. How does the pulley system work in this example?

In the Kleppner/Kolenkow Pulley Example, the pulley system is used to lift a mass by pulling on one end of the string. The pulleys are arranged in such a way that the weight of the mass is distributed among multiple strings, reducing the amount of force needed to lift it.

3. What are the key concepts illustrated by this example?

This example illustrates the principles of mechanical advantage, which is the idea that using a machine or system can reduce the amount of force needed to do work. It also demonstrates the conservation of energy, as the work done by the input force is equal to the work done on the output force.

4. What are the equations used in this example?

The equations used in the Kleppner/Kolenkow Pulley Example include the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done by a force is equal to the change in kinetic energy of an object, and the mechanical advantage equation, which relates the input force to the output force in a system of pulleys.

5. Why is the Kleppner/Kolenkow Pulley Example important?

The Kleppner/Kolenkow Pulley Example is important because it demonstrates important principles in physics, such as mechanical advantage and energy conservation. It also serves as a common example used in introductory physics courses to help students understand these concepts and apply them to real-world problems.