Kleppner/Kolenkow: Two Points Around a Circle

In summary, In part a, the author found that the velocity of the object, ##A##, is given by the equation v_A = v_B - \frac{dR}{dt} where ##R## is the distance from the origin, ##B##.
Cosmophile
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing.
Hey, all. I've decided to go back and work on some old K&K problems that I didn't finish last time. Here's a neat one that's been giving me trouble.

2ab1cfa31f.png

I hadn't attempted problem a yet (I admittedly completely overlooked it by accident!). For b, I had a difficult time finding a good starting point. I initially took ##B##'s frame of reference to be stationary and decided that would mean ##A## would be the only object moving.

For this case, I centered the circle at the origin ##(0,0)##. Let ##A## and ##B## be two points on the circle. From ##B##'s frame, ##A## travels around the circle. ##A##'s position is given by the vector ##\vec{R}##, drawn from ##B##. ##\vec{R}## is a chord on the circle. ##\theta## is the angle made by ##\vec{R}## and the line ##BO = L = AO##, where ##O## is the origin ##(0,0)##.

Because I am finding the velocity of ##A## from ##B##'s point of view, the velocity vector will not be purely tangential to the circle. So, in polar coordinates, I get:
[tex] \vec{v_A} = -v \sin(\theta) \hat{r} + v \cos(\theta) \hat{\theta} [/tex]

After discussing this with a friend who has completed his undergrad, he informed me that I was wrong. From ##B##'s point of view, both ##A## AND the circle are moving. If this is the case, I am having a difficult time finding a starting point. So, help is welcome as always!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cosmophile said:
I hadn't attempted problem a yet
You should. It asks for the general solution, which you can then apply in b).

Likes Cosmophile
A.T. said:
You should. It asks for the general solution, which you can then apply in b).
Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

For part a, I've found

[tex] B = A - R [/tex]
[tex] v_B = v_A - \frac{dR}{dt} \qquad \to \qquad v_A = v_B + \frac{dR}{dt} [/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Kleppner/Kolenkow: Two Points Around a Circle

1. What is "Kleppner/Kolenkow: Two Points Around a Circle"?

"Kleppner/Kolenkow: Two Points Around a Circle" is a classical mechanics problem that involves finding the position, velocity, and acceleration of two points moving at constant speeds around a circle with a given radius.

2. How is this problem solved?

This problem can be solved using the principles of circular motion and vector algebra. It requires knowledge of concepts such as angular velocity, centripetal acceleration, and the Pythagorean theorem.

3. What are the main challenges of this problem?

The main challenges of this problem are understanding the concepts of circular motion and vector algebra, and applying them correctly to solve the problem. It also requires careful attention to units and conversions.

4. What are some real-life applications of this problem?

This problem has many real-life applications, such as in understanding the motion of objects on a rotating platform, the motion of planets around the sun, or the motion of particles in a centrifuge. It is also relevant in engineering fields, such as designing roller coasters or analyzing the motion of gears.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving this type of problem?

To improve your skills in solving problems like "Kleppner/Kolenkow: Two Points Around a Circle", it is important to have a solid understanding of the underlying concepts, practice solving similar problems, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller, manageable steps and to check your work for errors.

Back