Knudsen Flow: High School Student Q&A

In summary: It results from the situation that the mean free path becomes equal or smaller than the channel’s size. This means that the gas molecules are more likely to collide with the walls of the container than with each other. This can be achieved by reducing the pressure or increasing the channel size. However, simply digging a small hole in a board will not create Knudsen flow as the channel size would not be large enough. The difference between viscous flow, Knudsen flow, and molecular flow lies in the Knudsen number, which is the mean free path divided by the diameter of the flow channel. When this number becomes higher, the flow transitions into molecular flow and enters ultra vacuum conditions. Knudsen flow is often used in applications such as
Chain Shawn
I am a high school student trying to carry out an experiment about fluid. Thus I am studying Knudsen flow and come up with following questions.

1. How can a Knudsen flow occurs?
2. Can I simply dig a small hole on a board and make Knudsen flow?
3. What the difference between viscous flow, Knudsen flow and moduleur flow?
4. How can such flow sieve different molecules?

( I’m not good at English. Sorry for the poor structure of this thread.😥

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
What have you found so far on Knudsen flow?
It results from the situation that the mean free path becomes equal or smaller than the channel’s size. And if Knudsen number(mean free path divided by diameter of flow channel) becomes higher, it will turn to molecular flow and enter ultra vacuum.

The cause and effect confuse me.I couldn’t get the causal relationship between channel’s size and air pressure. Does the Knudsen flow means that pipes size can generate ultra vacuum condition?

And I see some applications using pores on membrane to sieve different molecules, but I’m not sure whether the thickness or radius of the pore refers to the channel’s size.

In Knudsen flow, the fluid behavior can no longer be modeled as a viscous continuum, since the laws of viscous flow are based on significant numbers of molecular collisions. Knudsen flow occurs when the pressure of the gas is made very low.

Related to Knudsen Flow: High School Student Q&A

What is Knudsen flow?

Knudsen flow refers to the type of gas flow that occurs when the mean free path of the gas molecules is comparable to or larger than the characteristic dimensions of the container or channel through which the gas is flowing. This typically happens at very low pressures or in very small geometries.

How does Knudsen flow differ from other types of gas flow?

Knudsen flow differs from other types of gas flow, such as viscous flow and molecular flow, primarily in the relationship between the mean free path of the gas molecules and the dimensions of the container. In viscous flow, the mean free path is much smaller than the container dimensions, while in molecular flow, it is much larger. Knudsen flow is an intermediate regime where the mean free path is comparable to the container dimensions.

What are some practical applications of Knudsen flow?

Practical applications of Knudsen flow include vacuum systems, microelectromechanical systems (MEMS), and the study of gas flows in porous media. It is also relevant in the design of certain types of sensors and in the analysis of gas behavior in small-scale environments.

What is the Knudsen number and how is it calculated?

The Knudsen number (Kn) is a dimensionless number that characterizes the type of gas flow based on the ratio of the mean free path of the gas molecules to a characteristic dimension of the container. It is calculated using the formula: Kn = λ / L, where λ is the mean free path of the gas molecules and L is the characteristic dimension of the container or channel.

What challenges are associated with studying Knudsen flow?

Studying Knudsen flow presents several challenges, including accurately measuring the mean free path of gas molecules, dealing with the complex interactions between gas molecules and container walls, and developing appropriate mathematical models to describe the flow behavior. Additionally, experimental setups often require precise control of pressure and temperature to achieve the conditions necessary for Knudsen flow.