Kronig-Penny model, how electrons get free of their atom?

In summary, the Kronig-Penny model assumes the electrons have already escaped their atom and starts out with free electrons between potentials, then proceeds to calculate the energy eigenstates.
LostConjugate
I am reading about this for the first time.

The Kronig-Penny model seems to assume the electrons have already escaped their atom and starts out with free electrons between potentials, then proceeds to calculate the energy eigenstates.

Did I miss something here? How do the electron's escape their atom in the first place, they don't seem to have much reason to?

In the limit that the space between atoms goes to infinity this model gives a free particle solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, remember here that they're not 'free' as in an electron in vacuum far, far away from the crystal. The boundary conditions on the model eliminate that possibility.
They're 'free' as in delocalized; free to move about in the crystal - which is of course a different situation.
Of course, whether or not you have any delocalized electrons depends on the barrier height between the atoms, which is a (crude) model of chemical bonding; a chemical bond by definition being an electronic state where (some) electrons are shared between two atoms.

So your barrier height here, i.e. the nature of the bonding between the atoms, is what determines to what extent you have delocalized electrons, and ultimately, whether or not the material is an insulator or conductor.

alxm said:
Well, remember here that they're not 'free' as in an electron in vacuum far, far away from the crystal. The boundary conditions on the model eliminate that possibility.
They're 'free' as in delocalized; free to move about in the crystal - which is of course a different situation.
Of course, whether or not you have any delocalized electrons depends on the barrier height between the atoms, which is a (crude) model of chemical bonding; a chemical bond by definition being an electronic state where (some) electrons are shared between two atoms.

So your barrier height here, i.e. the nature of the bonding between the atoms, is what determines to what extent you have delocalized electrons, and ultimately, whether or not the material is an insulator or conductor.

Ok, I was just thinking of a bunch of atoms sitting side by side with no chemical bonding. I think I need to do more reading on the properties of solids to get a better understanding. Thanks!

actually, i have also bit confusion in this regards. For example in hexa-boride compound, has, an Octahedra of 6-boron atoms, which are connected to another Octahedra by covalent bond. so In the unit cell, 8-octahedra of boron are lying on corners, which are connected via single covalent bond. In the middle we can put one Rare Earth metal at the center of unit cell. let say, Ca, Sr or Ba, i.e. CaB6, or SrB6, BaB6. So now the Metal ion is surrounded by 8- Octahedra of Borons. So here how can we vissualize the electronic structure, in relation to chemical bonding.

Related to Kronig-Penny model, how electrons get free of their atom?

1. What is the Kronig-Penny model?

The Kronig-Penny model is a theoretical model used to describe the behavior of electrons in a periodic potential, such as the potential experienced by electrons in a crystal lattice.

2. How does the Kronig-Penny model explain how electrons get free of their atom?

The Kronig-Penny model explains this by considering the periodic potential as a series of potential wells and barriers. When the electron's energy is higher than the potential barrier, it is able to tunnel through and become free from its atom.

3. What factors affect the electron's ability to get free from its atom in the Kronig-Penny model?

The factors that affect the electron's ability to get free from its atom in the Kronig-Penny model include the height and width of the potential barriers, the electron's energy, and the spacing between the barriers.

4. How does the Kronig-Penny model relate to the band structure of materials?

The Kronig-Penny model helps explain the band structure of materials by showing how the behavior of electrons in a periodic potential leads to the formation of energy bands. These bands determine the electronic and optical properties of materials.

5. Can the Kronig-Penny model be applied to all types of materials?

While the Kronig-Penny model is a useful tool for understanding the behavior of electrons in periodic potentials, it is not applicable to all types of materials. It is best suited for describing the properties of crystalline materials, such as metals, semiconductors, and insulators.