Kruskal Diagram Hyperbola Function

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of hyperbolas in the Kruskal diagram and their significance in defining points with a constant "r" value. The conversation also touched on the conversion from Schwarzschild coordinates to Kruskal coordinates and the metric tensor in Kruskal coordinates. The question asked was for the equation of the hyperbola in terms of Kruskal coordinates, which was clarified and answered using information from the Wikipedia page.
philipp2020
hi

If I understand it correctly, the hyperbolas in the kruskal diagram define locations with the same space time.

Now my question is, how can I make a function out of the hyperbola solved for spacetime on one side and gravity/metric tensor on the other side?

Thank you very much for an answer

Philipp

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still not sure what you are asking, even after the clarification.

The significance of the hyperbola is that they are a plot of all points with a constant "r" value on the Kruskal diagram.

The Kruskal diagram is a set of coordinates with some useful properties - one particularly useful set of properties is that all lightlike geodesics will be straight lines on the diagram.

The particulars of the conversion from Schwarzschild coordinates to Kruskal coordinates was given in the wiki.

The metric tensor in Kruskal coordinates was also given in the wiki.

You want the equation of the hyperbola r = const in terms of Kruskal coordinates? Isn't it just what's given in the Definition section of your Wikipedia page, setting r = constant. Parametrically in the first two equations, V = ... and U = ..., or in the fifth equation, V2 - U2 = ...

yes thanks very much for the answer. I think I understand it now.

Related to Kruskal Diagram Hyperbola Function

1. What is a Kruskal Diagram Hyperbola Function?

A Kruskal Diagram Hyperbola Function is a mathematical function used to represent the motion of a point in a hyperbolic orbit around a central body. It is named after physicist Martin Kruskal who first developed this function.

2. How is a Kruskal Diagram Hyperbola Function different from other hyperbolic functions?

A Kruskal Diagram Hyperbola Function is unique because it takes into account both the time and distance traveled by an object in a hyperbolic orbit. This makes it a more accurate representation of the motion of the object compared to other hyperbolic functions such as the hyperbolic sine or cosine functions.

3. What is the significance of a Kruskal Diagram Hyperbola Function in physics?

In physics, a Kruskal Diagram Hyperbola Function is used to study the motion of objects in hyperbolic orbits, such as comets and spacecraft. It helps scientists and engineers understand the path and velocity of these objects, which is crucial for planning space missions and predicting their behavior.

4. How is a Kruskal Diagram Hyperbola Function calculated?

A Kruskal Diagram Hyperbola Function is calculated using the hyperbolic coordinates of the object, which take into account its speed, distance, and time. The equation for this function involves complex mathematical calculations, making it a challenging concept for many people to understand.

5. Can a Kruskal Diagram Hyperbola Function be applied to other fields besides physics?

While the Kruskal Diagram Hyperbola Function was originally developed for use in physics, it has also been applied to other fields such as economics, biology, and geology. In these fields, it is used to analyze data and make predictions about future trends and patterns.