KsP calculations with solubility values

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of converting solubility values from g/100mL to mol/L in order to calculate Ksp. The speaker mentions using a conversion factor and the molar mass to get a final value, but expresses concern about the high number obtained. The other person advises checking the values and methods used before moving on.
London Kngiths
Maybe I am doing something horribly wrong here, but these numbers just make absolutely no sense to me.

We are given solubility values which will subsequently be used for Ksp calculations.

I was given hydrogen bromide and 5 solubility values (given in g/100g H2O)

Since 1g = 1mL basically we were given g/100mL.

To calculate Ksp we need mol/L so I converted. One value we were given was 193.8g/100mL

So first I converted to g/L by multiplying by 10. 1938g/L. Next I divided by the molar mass to get mol/L (80.91g/mol). This value ends up being 23.95mol/L which is a ridiculously high number. Did I do something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Ridiculous?" How many moles of water per liter (liquid)? Don't let your intuition stampede you --- when the numbers look "funny," check them, check your units, check you method, look at similar problems, and move on.

It is possible that you made a mistake in your calculations, as the resulting Ksp value does seem quite high. It may be helpful to double check your conversions and make sure you are using the correct molar mass for hydrogen bromide. Additionally, it is important to consider the units when converting between grams and moles. Another possibility is that the solubility values given to you are incorrect. I would suggest double checking your work and possibly consulting with your instructor or classmates to see if they obtained similar results.

Related to KsP calculations with solubility values

1. What is the purpose of using solubility values in KsP calculations?

The solubility value is used to determine the maximum amount of a substance that can dissolve in a given amount of solvent at a specific temperature. This information is essential in accurately calculating the KsP, or solubility product constant, which is a measure of the equilibrium between a solid substance and its dissolved ions in a solution.

2. How do you determine the solubility value for a particular substance?

The solubility value can be determined experimentally by adding a known amount of the substance to a solvent and measuring the concentration of the dissolved ions at equilibrium. It can also be found in reference tables or databases.

3. What units are typically used for solubility values in KsP calculations?

Solubility values are typically expressed in units of molarity (M) or moles per liter (mol/L). However, they can also be given in other units such as grams per liter or grams per 100 milliliters.

4. Can solubility values change under different conditions?

Yes, solubility values can change depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances in the solution. This is why it is important to use the correct solubility value for the specific conditions of the solution being studied.

5. How do you use solubility values in KsP calculations?

To use solubility values in KsP calculations, you first need to determine the concentrations of the dissolved ions in the solution at equilibrium. Then, you can plug these values into the KsP expression and solve for the KsP constant. The solubility value can also be used to predict the concentration of ions that will remain in the solution at equilibrium for a given amount of the substance added.