KVL Analysis for Solving Vx: Why Can We Ignore the 6 Amp Source?

In summary: The 6 A current source and the 2 Ω resistor are in parallel, so they MUST have the same potential drop. Taking your "KVL walk" around the loop including the 2 Ω resistor does the trick and the solution shows -2 V.
Jeremy Burke
2010520204116340998486115387509736.jpg
the question is to solve Vx. chegg did a kvl in the middle mesh and it turned out to be -2+Vx+8=0, i was wondering why they just ignored the 6 amp source in the kvl. i understand no voltage can be dropped across an ideal current source so why can we just skip over the 6 amp source and go to the 2 ohm resistor

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jeremy Burke said:
2010520204116340998486115387509736.jpg
the question is to solve Vx. chegg did a kvl in the middle mesh and it turned out to be -2+Vx+8=0, i was wondering why they just ignored the 6 amp source in the kvl. i understand no voltage can be dropped across an ideal current source so why can we just skip over the 6 amp source and go to the 2 ohm resistor

The 6 A current source and the 2 Ω resistor are in parallel, so they MUST have the same potential drop.

An ideal current source will produce any potential difference necessary in order that it maintains its specified current.

then i don't understand why the solution was showing -2. since the current is point upward, wouldn't that make the positive end on the bottom, making it +2 and not -2

Jeremy Burke said:
then i don't understand why the solution was showing -2. since the current is point upward, wouldn't that make the positive end on the bottom, making it +2 and not -2
Current sources don't care about voltage polarity. They simply maintain the required current in the specified direction. Again, an ideal current source will produce any potential difference necessary in order that it maintains its specified current. Even if that potential change is negative in the direction of the current.

then how do we decide whether or not the 2 is positive or negative

Jeremy Burke said:
then how do we decide whether or not the 2 is positive or negative
In this case, taking your "KVL walk" around the loop including the 2 Ω resistor does the trick. In the figure below, the first potential change is -2 V as you "walk" through that resistor:

Fig1.gif

Related to KVL Analysis for Solving Vx: Why Can We Ignore the 6 Amp Source?

1. What is KVL in circuit analysis?

KVL stands for Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which is a fundamental law in circuit analysis that states that the algebraic sum of voltages in a closed loop of a circuit must be equal to zero.

2. How is KVL used in circuit analysis?

KVL is used to analyze and solve complex circuits by applying the law to different loops in the circuit and setting up equations to solve for unknown voltages or currents.

3. Can KVL be applied to any circuit?

Yes, KVL can be applied to any circuit, whether it is a simple or complex circuit. It is a fundamental law that applies to all types of circuits.

4. What are the limitations of KVL in circuit analysis?

KVL is based on the assumption that all the components in a circuit are connected in series and that there are no parallel branches. This means that it cannot be applied to circuits with parallel components or non-linear components.

5. How does KVL relate to conservation of energy?

KVL is based on the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred. KVL ensures that the sum of voltages in a circuit is equal to the total energy supplied by the voltage source.