KVL loop: Example wrong, or did I misunderstand?

In summary, the conversation is about a circuit analysis problem using KVL loop. The loop has three voltages, including an unknown voltage Vr2. The given answer is 4V for Vr2, but the individual is confused because of the negative voltage of -8. They have tried to apply algebra to solve the problem and have found Vr2 to be 20. They are unsure if they are treating the negative voltage correctly and request a circuit diagram for clarification. They mention that one voltage is a source while the other two are voltage drops over resistances.
EngnrMatt
In my circuit analysis textbook, there is an example problem using a KVL loop. Though it seems relatively simple, I cannot understand the answer.

the loop consists of 3 voltages: -8, 12, and the unknown, Vr2. The polarities (clockwise) around the loop are respectively +,-,+.

The answer given is 4V for Vr2. I can see this being the case if the 8 wasn't negative, but if I apply algebra, the equation comes out as:

+ (-8) - (12) + Vr2 = 0

where Vr2 = 20

Am I treating the -8 wrong? Because if it were positive 8, I could understand Vr2 being 4, however, I am given to understand negative voltage is different from positive voltage.

Physics news on Phys.org
A circuit diagram would be helpful.

One of those is a voltage source while the other two are the volt drops over resistances huh?

Post the circuit diagram otherwise we are guessing what might be wrong.

I would say that it is possible that the example problem in your textbook is incorrect or there may be a misunderstanding on your part. It is important to carefully check the values and polarities of the voltages used in the KVL loop before solving the equation. In this case, it appears that the -8 voltage may have been mistakenly written as positive, leading to the incorrect answer of 4V for Vr2. It is also important to note that negative voltages are indeed different from positive voltages and should be treated accordingly in the KVL equation. I would suggest double-checking the problem and potentially consulting with your instructor or a classmate for clarification.

Related to KVL loop: Example wrong, or did I misunderstand?

1. What is KVL loop analysis?

KVL (Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) loop analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage drops in a closed loop circuit. It is based on the principle that the algebraic sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero.

2. How do I perform KVL loop analysis?

To perform KVL loop analysis, you must first label all the components in the circuit and choose a direction for the current flow. Then, follow the loop in the chosen direction and apply Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to each loop, summing up all the voltage drops. Finally, set the sum equal to zero and solve for the unknown voltages.

3. Can KVL loop analysis be applied to any circuit?

Yes, KVL loop analysis can be applied to any circuit, as long as it is a closed loop circuit. It is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis and is widely used in both DC and AC circuits.

4. What is an example of a wrong KVL loop analysis?

An example of a wrong KVL loop analysis would be if the chosen direction for the current flow is opposite to the actual direction of the current in the circuit. This would result in incorrect voltage drop calculations and ultimately lead to wrong analysis and results.

5. How can I avoid misunderstanding KVL loop analysis?

To avoid misunderstanding KVL loop analysis, it is important to have a clear understanding of the principles and concepts behind it. Additionally, double-checking the direction of current flow and the labeling of components in the circuit can also help avoid errors and misunderstandings.