Lab on Photosynthetic Pigments/Absorbance

• Thread starter Puchinita5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, the conversation is about writing a lab report on photosynthetic pigments, specifically about the broader implications of the results. The process involved boiling spinach leaves and using chromatography paper to separate the pigments, followed by using a spectrophotometer to measure the absorbance spectra of chlorophyll pigments. The broader implications discussed are the importance of being able to isolate specific molecules for more accurate results in studying them, and the significance of understanding the absorbance spectra of chlorophyll in relation to the efficiency of plants in converting energy from the sun. This has implications for ecosystems and life on earth.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

Hi guys. So i have to write a lab report on a lab we did on photosynthetic pigments. Just to give you some background, we extracted pigments from spinach leaves by first boiling them in water and then putting them in ethyl alcohol.

Then we used chromatogrpahy paper to separate the different pigments.

Later, we used a spectrophotometer to take the absorbance spectra of chlorphyll pigments.

My question is:
in our lab report they are very nitpicky about making sure we write about the "broader implications" of our conclusions.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the broader implications are for the fact that different pigments have different solubilities (and therefore can separate by chromatography)

I also cannot figure what the broader implications are for the absorbance spectra of chlorophyll. I guess that this is why leaves are green? or that these results might be able to help in understanding the importance of maintaining the ozone or something? I'm just making guesses.

Any ideas or things to think about would be helpful, thank you.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Being able to separate molecules from other similar molecules is one of the most important skills in chemistry. Once you can isolate a specific molecule, you can now study it without having to worry about your results being affected by other contaminating molecules.

Puchinita5 said:
I also cannot figure what the broader implications are for the absorbance spectra of chlorophyll. I guess that this is why leaves are green?
Leaves are green because they do not absorb light of wavelengths that we percieve as green. I suppose identifying the wavelengths across which chlorophyll molecules can absorb will give some indication of the efficiency with which plants can take in energy from the Sun. Remember that producers are a necessary stage in all ecosystems, and that they transform the energy from the Sun into one which can be used by primary, secondary, ..., consumers. The efficiency with which they do this has implications for ecosystems (such as they number of trophic levels, diversity, stability) and, I suppose therefore, life on earth.
Just a thought...

Related to Lab on Photosynthetic Pigments/Absorbance

1. What are photosynthetic pigments?

Photosynthetic pigments are molecules found in plants, algae, and some bacteria that are responsible for absorbing light energy and using it to carry out photosynthesis, the process by which plants convert sunlight into chemical energy.

2. What is the role of photosynthetic pigments in photosynthesis?

The main role of photosynthetic pigments is to absorb light energy and transfer it to other molecules within the plant, such as chlorophyll, which then uses the energy to produce sugars and other essential compounds for the plant's growth and survival.

3. How do scientists measure photosynthetic pigments?

Scientists typically use spectrophotometry, a technique that measures the amount of light absorbed by a sample, to measure photosynthetic pigments. This method involves shining a light of a specific wavelength on a sample and measuring the amount of light that passes through it, which can then be used to calculate the amount of pigment present.

4. What is absorbance and how is it related to photosynthetic pigments?

Absorbance is the amount of light that is absorbed by a sample. In the context of photosynthetic pigments, absorbance is used to measure the concentration of these pigments in a sample. The more photosynthetic pigments present, the higher the absorbance will be.

5. Why is studying photosynthetic pigments important?

Studying photosynthetic pigments is important because they play a critical role in the process of photosynthesis, which is essential for the survival of plants and other organisms that depend on them for food. Additionally, understanding photosynthetic pigments can provide insight into the health and productivity of plant ecosystems and help scientists develop more efficient methods for harnessing solar energy.