Lab Preparation Using a solid, DI water, a balance, and a flask

In summary, to prepare 250 mL of .180 M K2S2O8 solution, you will need to measure out 12.16 g of K2S2O8 using a balance. Pour the measured K2S2O8 into a volumetric flask and add deionized water until the flask reaches the 250 mL mark. Mix thoroughly by inverting the flask a few times.
TypeFun

Homework Statement

Describe how you would prepare exactly 250 mL of .180 M K2S2O8 solution for use. Assume that you have a supply of solid K2S2O8, deionized water, a balance, and a volumetric flask. Also, how many grams of K2S2O8 would you need?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

.180 M K2S2O8 / 270.32 g/mol = 6.66 x 10^-4 g K2S2O8

Pour 250 mL of DI water into a volumetric flask. Balance out 6.66 x 10^-4 g of K2S2O8. Add the two together.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the units for your mass calculation and you will find that they are wrong. Your units should, on both sides of the equation, be "grams".

Assuming your molecular weight of the compound K2S2O8 is correct, your mass calculation should be not for 1 L of solution, but for 250 ml. of solution, meaning you want something like:
250 * 10-3L * 0.180 (moles / L) * 270.32 (grams / mole)

Nope. Try again. Remember that 0.180M is 0.180 moles in one liter, not 1/4 liter.

Also remember to set up the problem so that you get the units you want. You set it up incorrectly. 6.66 X 10^-4 g is pretty wrong.

Hey thanks. My new number is 12.16 g of K2S2O8. Would that change my answer to: Using the balance, measure out 12.16 g of K2S2O8. Add that to a volumetric flask. Pour DI water into the flask, until 250 mL has been reached.

Does that sound correct?

Yes? No?

Good.
You may well wish to diligently transfer all the weighed material quantitatively to the flask, using squirt of deionized water from squirt bottle, and enough water to dissolve the material, and then fill to the 250 ml. mark, stopper and invert a few times to finish mixing.

Related to Lab Preparation Using a solid, DI water, a balance, and a flask

1. How do I prepare a solution using solid and DI water?

To prepare a solution using solid and DI water, first measure out the desired amount of solid using a balance. Then, add the solid to a flask and add a small amount of DI water to dissolve the solid. Once the solid is dissolved, add more DI water until the desired concentration is reached.

2. How do I ensure accurate measurements when preparing a solution?

To ensure accurate measurements, it is important to properly calibrate and use the balance. Make sure to tare the balance before each measurement and use a clean and dry container to hold the solid. It is also helpful to measure the solid multiple times and take an average to reduce error.

3. What is the purpose of using DI water in lab preparation?

DI water, or deionized water, is used in lab preparation because it is free from impurities and ions that can affect the outcome of experiments. It also ensures that the concentration of the solution is solely determined by the amount of solid used.

4. How do I choose the appropriate flask size for my solution?

The appropriate flask size for your solution will depend on the amount of solid and DI water needed to reach the desired concentration. It is important to choose a flask that is large enough to hold the solution without overflowing, but not too large as it can affect the accuracy of the measurement.

5. Can I use any solid in lab preparation?

No, not all solids are suitable for lab preparation. It is important to choose a solid that is soluble in DI water and will not react with the solution. It is also important to consider the purity of the solid and any potential impurities that may affect the experiment.