Label $\rightleftharpoons$ with x and y: Tutorial

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
In summary, a label in science refers to a symbol or name used to identify or classify something, and may also refer to a tag or sticker providing information about an object. The symbol $\rightleftharpoons$ is used in chemistry to represent a reversible reaction, and is placed between reactants and products in equilibrium equations. The letters x and y are used as variables to represent concentrations in these equations. An example of a reversible reaction using this label is the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen gas.
Dustinsfl
So I am trying to use $ \rightleftharpoons $ but I want to label both pieces like $\xleftarrow[y]{x}$.

How can I do this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
So I am trying to use $ \rightleftharpoons $ but I want to label both pieces like $\xleftarrow[y]{x}$.

How can I do this?

Maybe $\underset{y}{\overset{x}{\rightleftharpoons}}$ ?

dwsmith said:
How can I do this?
\underset{y}{\overset{x}{\longleftrightarrow}} gives $\underset{y}{\overset{x}{\longleftrightarrow}}$

Also $\mathop{\rightleftharpoons}\limits^x_y$.

I would suggest using the notation $x \rightleftharpoons y$ to label both pieces. This notation indicates a reversible reaction where both x and y can be converted into each other. Alternatively, you could use $x \rightleftharpoons y$ to represent the forward reaction and $y \rightleftharpoons x$ to represent the reverse reaction. Both notations are commonly used in chemistry and can effectively label both pieces in a reversible reaction.

FAQ: Label $\rightleftharpoons$ with x and y: Tutorial

1. What is a label in science?

In science, a label refers to a symbol or name that is used to identify or classify something, such as a chemical compound or a biological specimen. It can also refer to a tag or sticker attached to an object to provide information about its contents or properties.

2. What does the symbol $\rightleftharpoons$ represent in chemistry?

The symbol $\rightleftharpoons$ (also known as a double-headed arrow) is used in chemistry to represent a reversible reaction, in which the products can react to form the original reactants. This indicates that the reaction can proceed in both the forward and reverse directions.

3. How is the symbol $\rightleftharpoons$ used in equilibrium equations?

In equilibrium equations, the symbol $\rightleftharpoons$ is placed between the reactants and products to indicate that the reaction is reversible. The equilibrium constant, K, is then used to represent the ratio of product concentrations to reactant concentrations at equilibrium.

4. What is the significance of using the letters x and y in the label $\rightleftharpoons$?

The letters x and y are commonly used as variables in scientific equations, and in this case, they represent the concentrations of the reactants and products in the equilibrium equation. This allows for a general representation of any reversible reaction, without specifying the specific chemicals involved.

5. Can you provide an example of a reversible reaction using the label $\rightleftharpoons$?

An example of a reversible reaction using the label $\rightleftharpoons$ is the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide, which can be written as: 2H2O2 $\rightleftharpoons$ 2H2O + O2. This indicates that the hydrogen peroxide can decompose into water and oxygen gas, but the products can also react to form the original reactant, hydrogen peroxide.