Lagrange Multipliers (Multivariable Calc)

In summary, the problem is to find the maximum values of x1, x2, and x3 within the ellipsoid given by the equation x1^2/a^2 + x2^2/b^2 + x3^2/c^2 < 1. The method suggested by the teacher is to use Lagrange multiplier, but it may not be necessary as the maximum values can be determined directly from the equation of the ellipsoid. Further clarification from the teacher may be needed.
aznduk

Homework Statement

Find the maximum x1, x2, x3, in the ellipsoid
x1^2/a^2 + x2^2/b^2 + x3^2/c^2 < 1 and all the places where this value is attained.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher said to use the lagrange multiplier.
So far, I have that we are maximizing x1, x2, and x3 such that x1^2/a^2 + x2^2/b^2 + x3^2/c^2 < 1.

In any case, I figured that the constraint would be the equation for the ellipsoid, but I haven't a clue what exactly we would be maximizing for.
I would assume the maximum of x1,x2, and x3 would simply be the norm of the vector created by the three values.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show your work before you get help. What have you done with this problem?

yeah I added what I did, but I feel like I'm going in the wrong direction.

aznduk said:

Homework Statement

Find the maximum x1, x2, x3, in the ellipsoid
x1^2/a^2 + x2^2/b^2 + x3^2/c^2 < 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher said to use the lagrange multiplier.
So far, I have that we are maximizing x1, x2, and x3 such that x1^2/a^2 + x2^2/b^2 + x3^2/c^2 < 1.

In any case, I figured that the constraint would be the equation for the ellipsoid, but I haven't a clue what exactly we would be maximizing for.
I would assume the maximum of x1,x2, and x3 would simply be the norm of the vector created by the three values.
I wouldn't. I accept exactly what was said here: that you are asked to find three separate values: the maximum value of x, the maximum value of y, and the maximum value of z- and you don't need "Lagrange multiplier", you can read them off the equation of the ellipsoid. If you think your teacher means anything else, you should ask him or her.

Related to Lagrange Multipliers (Multivariable Calc)

What are Lagrange multipliers?

Lagrange multipliers are a mathematical tool used to find the optimal values of a function subject to certain constraints. They are commonly used in multivariable calculus, optimization problems, and physics.

How do Lagrange multipliers work?

Lagrange multipliers work by introducing a new variable, called the Lagrange multiplier, into the equation for the function being optimized. This variable is then used to create a system of equations that can be solved to find the optimal values of the original function.

What types of problems can be solved using Lagrange multipliers?

Lagrange multipliers can be used to solve a wide range of problems, including optimization problems with constraints, constrained minimization or maximization problems, and problems involving multiple variables and equations.

What are the benefits of using Lagrange multipliers?

One of the main benefits of using Lagrange multipliers is that they allow for the optimization of a function subject to constraints, which can be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. They also provide a systematic and efficient approach to solving such problems.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Lagrange multipliers?

Lagrange multipliers may become more complex and difficult to use as the number of variables and constraints increases. They also may not provide a unique solution in certain cases. Additionally, they may not be applicable to all types of optimization problems.