Lagrange multipliers with a summation function and constraint

In summary, the maximum of $ax+by$ subject to the constraint $x^2+y^2=1$ is found to be $x_1=\frac{a_1}{\sqrt{\sum\limits_{k=1}^n\left(a_k^2 \right)}}$.
skate_nerd
Problem stated: Let \(a_1, a_2, ... , a_n\) be \(n\) positive numbers. Find the maximum of
$$\sum_{i=1}^{n}a_ix_i$$ subject to the constraint $$\sum_{i=1}^{n}x_i^2=1$$.
I honestly have not much of an idea of how to go about solving this. If I use lagrange multipliers which I think I am supposed to since this problem is from that section of the book, how would I even begin to take partial derivatives of these summations, let alone solve a system of equations with them? Any hint on how to begin this would be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: lagrange multipliers with a summation function and constraint

skatenerd said:
Problem stated: Let \(a_1, a_2, ... , a_n\) be \(n\) positive numbers. Find the maximum of
$$\sum_{i=1}^{n}a_ix_i$$ subject to the constraint $$\sum_{i=1}^{n}x_i^2=1$$.
I honestly have not much of an idea of how to go about solving this. If I use lagrange multipliers which I think I am supposed to since this problem is from that section of the book, how would I even begin to take partial derivatives of these summations, let alone solve a system of equations with them? Any hint on how to begin this would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi skatenerd! :)

Suppose you had to maximize $ax+by$ subject to the constraint $x^2+y^2=1$.
Would you know how to do that?

If so, how about $ax+by+cz$?

The time to generalize is after that.

I noticed several guests viewing this topic, and thought I might go ahead and solve it, since time has gone by and it is interesting. :D

We have the objective function:

\(\displaystyle f\left(x_1,x_2,x_3,\cdots,x_n \right)=\sum_{k=1}^n\left(a_kx_k \right)\)

Subject to the constraint:

\(\displaystyle g\left(x_1,x_2,x_3,\cdots,x_n \right)=\sum_{k=1}^n\left(x_k^2 \right)-1=0\)

Using Lagrange multipliers, we obtain the system:

\(\displaystyle a_1=2\lambda x_1\)

\(\displaystyle a_2=2\lambda x_2\)

\(\displaystyle a_3=2\lambda x_3\)

\(\displaystyle \vdots\)

\(\displaystyle a_n=2\lambda x_n\)

This implies:

\(\displaystyle x_k=\frac{a_k}{a_1}x_1\) where \(\displaystyle k\in\{2,3,4,\cdots,n\}\)

And so the constraint yields (taking the positive root since we are asked to maximize the objective function):

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n\left(x_k^2 \right)=1\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n\left(\left(\frac{a_k}{a_1}x_1 \right)^2 \right)=1\)

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{x_1}{a_1} \right)^2\sum_{k=1}^n\left(a_k^2 \right)=1\)

\(\displaystyle x_1^2=\frac{a_1^2}{\sum\limits_{k=1}^n\left(a_k^2 \right)}\)

Taking the positive root, we then have:

\(\displaystyle x_1=\frac{a_1}{\sqrt{\sum\limits_{k=1}^n\left(a_k^2 \right)}}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle x_k=\frac{a_k}{\sqrt{ \sum\limits_{k=1}^n\left(a_k^2 \right)}}\)

And so we find:

\(\displaystyle f_{\max}=\sum_{k=1}^n\left(a_k\frac{a_k}{\sqrt{ \sum\limits_{k=1}^n\left(a_k^2 \right)}} \right)=\frac{\sum\limits_{k=1}^n\left(a_k^2 \right)}{\sqrt{ \sum\limits_{k=1}^n\left(a_k^2 \right)}}=\sqrt{ \sum\limits_{k=1}^n\left(a_k^2 \right)}\)

Wow, I think I completely forgot that I asked this question! This was in regard to my 3rd semester of calculus last year...Thanks for the responses and the solution MarkFL! Very cool indeed.

Related to Lagrange multipliers with a summation function and constraint

H2. What is the purpose of using Lagrange multipliers with a summation function and constraint?

The purpose of using Lagrange multipliers is to find the optimal value of a function subject to a specified set of constraints. The addition of a summation function and constraint allows for the optimization of multiple variables simultaneously.

H2. How does the summation function affect the Lagrange multiplier method?

The summation function, also known as the objective function, is a key component in the Lagrange multiplier method. It represents the quantity that is being maximized or minimized, and the Lagrange multiplier helps to find the optimal value of this function while satisfying the given constraint.

H2. What are the limitations of using Lagrange multipliers with a summation function and constraint?

One limitation of using Lagrange multipliers is that it assumes the objective function and constraint are both differentiable. Additionally, the method may not be suitable for highly complex or non-linear functions.

H2. Can Lagrange multipliers with a summation function and constraint be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, the Lagrange multiplier method with a summation function and constraint can be applied to various real-world problems, such as optimizing production processes, resource allocation, and portfolio management.

H2. How does the Lagrange multiplier method with a summation function and constraint differ from other optimization methods?

The Lagrange multiplier method is unique in that it considers the constraint as an integral part of the optimization process. Other methods, such as gradient descent or Newton's method, do not take constraints into account and may not always provide feasible solutions.