Lagrange - yo-yo with moving support

In summary, a yo-yo with a uniform circular cylinder of mass `m' has a light inextensible string wrapped around it so that it does not slip. The yo-yo moves in a vertical straight line with the straight part of the string also vertical, while the support is also moving vertically with upward displacement Z(t) at time `t'. By taking into account the rotation of the yo-yo, the upward acceleration of the yo-yo can be found to be 1/3(\ddot{Z}-2g). To find the total energy at a time `t', the derived \ddot{\theta} can be integrated twice and substituted into the total energy equation.
cscott

Homework Statement

A uniform circular cylinder of mass `m' (a yo-yo) has a light inextensible string wrapped around it so that it does not slip. The free end of the string is fastened to a support and the yo-yo moves in a vertical straight line with the straight part of the string also vertical. At the same time the support is made to move vertically having upward displacement [itex]Z(t)[/itex] at time `t'. Find the upward acceleration of the yo-yo.

Homework Equations

Define `a' as the radius of the cylinder.
Define theta as the rotation angle of the yo-yo.

[tex]V = -mg(a\theta - Z)[/tex]

[tex]T = 3/4 m v^2 = 3/4 m (a \dot{\theta} - \dot{Z})^2[/tex]

[tex]L = T-V[/tex]

Use, [tex]\frac{d}{dt} ( \frac{dL}{d\dot{\theta}} ) - \frac{dL}{d\theta} = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} ( \frac{dL}{d\dot{\theta}} ) = 3/2m(a\ddot{\theta} - \ddot{Z})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dL}{d\theta} = mga[/tex]

So solving gives me,
[tex] \ddot{\theta} = \frac{2/3g +\ddot{Z}}{a} [/tex]
(downwards angular acceleration.)

Therefore upwards acceleration of the yo-yo is,

[tex] \ddot{z} = -a \ddot{\theta} = \ddot{Z}-2/3g[/tex].

But I'm missing a factor of 1/3 in front of [tex]\ddot{Z}[/tex] or,

[tex]\ddot{z} = 1/3(\ddot{Z}-2g)[/tex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that you didn't correctly take into account the rotation of the yo-yo... the kinetic energy of the system consists of two parts, rotation and translation. The latter just arises from the change in height of the yo-yo, with [tex]v = a\dot\theta - \dot{Z}[/tex]. But there is also the rotation of the yo-yo around its axis, specified by [tex]\omega = \dot\theta[/tex] and the moment of inertia [tex]I = \frac{1}{2}ma^2[/tex]. When you put all that together, the kinetic energy comes out to be slightly different than what you wrote.

So [tex]L = T-V = [1/2m(a\dot{\theta}-\dot{Z})^2 + 1/4ma^2\dot{\theta}^2] - [-mg(a\theta-Z)][/tex] ?

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{dL}{d\dot{\theta}} = ma(a\ddot{\theta}-\ddot{Z})+1/2ma^2\dot{\theta}[/tex](*)
[tex]\frac{dL}{d\theta} = mga[/tex](**)

(*)-(**)=0

I'm getting [tex]\ddot{\theta} = \frac{2}{3a} (\ddot{Z} - g)[/tex].

Then the linear acceleration of the yo-yo relative to the support is,

[tex]\ddot{z} = a \ddot{\theta} = 2/3(\ddot{Z}+g)[/tex]

So relative to the ground I'd have acceleration,

[tex]\ddot{z}' = 2/3(\ddot{Z}+g) - \ddot{Z} = 1/3(2g-\ddot{Z})[/tex]

So the upwards acceleration would be,

[tex]- \ddot{z} ' = 1/3(\ddot{Z}-2g)[/tex]

Does this look ok?

Last edited:
Just a couple of typos:
[tex]L = T-V = [1/2m(a\dot{\theta}-\dot{Z})^2 + 1/4ma^2\dot{\theta}^2] - [-mg(a\theta-Z)][/tex]
and
[tex]\ddot{z}\,' = 2/3(\ddot{Z}+g) - \ddot{Z} = 1/3(2g-\ddot{Z})[/tex]
Other than that it looks reasonable. Note that the upwards acceleration will be [tex]+\ddot{z}\,'[/tex] if [tex]z'[/tex] is defined such that it increases upwards (which is what it looks like you did), or [tex]-\ddot{z}\,'[/tex] if [tex]z'[/tex] is defined such that it increases downwards.

diazona said:
Just a couple of typos:
[tex]L = T-V = [1/2m(a\dot{\theta}-\dot{Z})^2 + 1/4ma^2\dot{\theta}^2] - [-mg(a\theta-Z)][/tex]
and
[tex]\ddot{z}\,' = 2/3(\ddot{Z}+g) - \ddot{Z} = 1/3(2g-\ddot{Z})[/tex]
Other than that it looks reasonable. Note that the upwards acceleration will be [tex]+\ddot{z}\,'[/tex] if [tex]z'[/tex] is defined such that it increases upwards (which is what it looks like you did), or [tex]-\ddot{z}\,'[/tex] if [tex]z'[/tex] is defined such that it increases downwards.

Thanks, fixed them. I just assigned the variable `z' randomly (yeah, sloppy hehe) but thanks for the reminder.

If I wanted to now find total energy at a time `t' should I use the [tex]\ddot{\theta}[/tex] I just found and integrate twice over t'=0..t then sub into T+V as a have defined above? Looks like a lot of algebra heh.

FAQ: Lagrange - yo-yo with moving support

1. What is a Lagrange - yo-yo with moving support?

A Lagrange - yo-yo with moving support is a physical system that consists of a yo-yo (a disk with a string wrapped around it) attached to a support that is able to move horizontally. The yo-yo is allowed to rotate freely around its center point, while the support can move both horizontally and vertically.

2. What is the significance of studying Lagrange - yo-yo with moving support?

Studying the dynamics of a Lagrange - yo-yo with moving support allows us to better understand the principles of classical mechanics, specifically the concepts of energy, angular momentum, and torque. This system also has real-world applications, such as in robotics and control systems.

3. How is the motion of a Lagrange - yo-yo with moving support described?

The motion of a Lagrange - yo-yo with moving support can be described using Lagrangian mechanics, which is a mathematical framework for analyzing the dynamics of a system. The equations of motion for this system can be derived using the Lagrange equations, which take into account the kinetic and potential energies of the system.

4. What are the assumptions made when studying Lagrange - yo-yo with moving support?

One of the main assumptions made when studying a Lagrange - yo-yo with moving support is that the string remains taut and does not slip on the yo-yo. This allows for the derivation of simplified equations of motion. Another assumption is that there is no friction present in the system.

5. How does the motion of the support affect the motion of the yo-yo in Lagrange - yo-yo with moving support?

The motion of the support can have a significant impact on the motion of the yo-yo in this system. If the support moves horizontally, it can change the angular velocity and angular momentum of the yo-yo. If the support moves vertically, it can affect the potential energy of the system. The type of motion of the support can also determine the type of motion exhibited by the yo-yo, such as pure rolling or sliding.

Back