Lagrangian equation for 5 pulley Atwood Machine.

In summary, the conversation discusses the Atwood's pulley system and how to write the Lagrangian for it. It also mentions determining transformations and using Noether's theorem to find the conserved momentum.
uber_kim

Homework Statement

Consider the Atwood’s pulley shown below. The masses are 4m, 3m, and m. Let x and y be the directed distances from the centers of the fixed (i.e. inertial) top pulleys for the left and right masses as indicated.
VXEygxt.png

http://imgur.com/VXEygxt

a) Write down the Lagrangian for this system in terms of x and y and their time derivatives as usual. (You will need to eliminate z, the distance 3m is from the inertial pulleys using the single rope constraint).

b) By inspection, determine transformations of the form x → x+Kxε, y→y+Kyε that leave the Lagrangian invariant (i.e. determine the generators Kx and Ky). Then use Noether’s theorem to construct the conserved momentum for the system

Homework Equations

L=T-U

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I'm unsure how to deal with the middle pulley. At the moment I have:

T=1/2{4m(x')2 + m(y')2 + 3m(z-(x'))2 + 3m(z-(y'))2}

U=4mgx-mgy+3mg(x-y-z)

b) I don't understand what it's asking. Is there an easier way to explain what it's asking?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Oops! Fixed. Thanks.

Did anyone solve this?

Reg_S said:
Did anyone solve this?
Since the post is 9 years old, I doubt it.

Likes Steve4Physics, PhDeezNutz and topsquark

Related to Lagrangian equation for 5 pulley Atwood Machine.

1. What is a Lagrangian equation for a 5 pulley Atwood Machine?

The Lagrangian equation for a 5 pulley Atwood Machine is a mathematical equation used to describe the motion of the system. It takes into account the potential and kinetic energies of the masses and the tension in the ropes.

2. How is the Lagrangian equation derived for a 5 pulley Atwood Machine?

The Lagrangian equation for a 5 pulley Atwood Machine is derived using the principles of classical mechanics and the Lagrangian formalism. This involves defining the kinetic and potential energies of the system and applying the Euler-Lagrange equations to find the equations of motion.

3. What are the variables in the Lagrangian equation for a 5 pulley Atwood Machine?

The variables in the Lagrangian equation for a 5 pulley Atwood Machine include the masses of the objects, the lengths of the ropes, and the angles of the ropes with respect to the horizontal. Additionally, the equation may also include variables for friction or other external forces.

4. How is the Lagrangian equation used in a 5 pulley Atwood Machine?

The Lagrangian equation is used to determine the motion of the masses in a 5 pulley Atwood Machine. By solving the equation, the positions, velocities, and accelerations of the masses can be calculated at any given time.

5. What are the advantages of using the Lagrangian equation for a 5 pulley Atwood Machine?

The Lagrangian equation allows for a more elegant and concise description of the system's motion compared to using Newton's laws of motion. It also takes into account the potential energy of the system, making it more accurate in certain situations such as when friction is present.