Lagrangian Function: Defining Potential Energy

In summary: Now we come to the interesting part. If we replace ##V=V(q)## by its corresponding potential energy function ##V(q)## then we get the well known Euler-Lagrange equation of the second type$$\vec{T}(q,t)=-\frac{1}{2}m\vec{q}(t)+\frac{1}{2}m^2\vec{T}_{q^i}(t),$$ with generalized velocities ##\vec{q}(t)##.In summary, potential energy is energy that is not kinetic, or due to E_{0}=mc^{2}. It can be found by using conservation of
Alaguraja
(L=T-V) In the Lagrangian function we saw to different type of energy conservation's. That is kinetic energy and potential energy. And I have doubt in one topic. How to define potential energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's at least a couple ways to answer that question.
One mathematical way is that for every force dependent on position expressible as a gradient, there is an associated potential energy.

However, the simplest is to say that potential energy refers to all forms of energy that are not kinetic (yes, really), or due to [itex]E_{0}=mc^{2}[/itex].
Different forms of potential energy can be discovered by using conservation of total energy, and seeing what's missing (e.g., the potential energy stored in chemical bonds giving rise to explosive chemical reactions).

Likes Alaguraja
In general, kinetic and potential energies are not conserved, only their sum (which is usually equal to the Hamiltonian function) is. For example, if we have a planet or moon orbiting a gravitational center, the kinetic and potential energies are both conserved only if the orbit is a perfect circle (not a general ellipse). Sometimes such an orbital motion system can be describes as two point masses, but in a more advanced treatment we can include the rotational energy of the celestial bodies into the kinetic energy, and also consider the tidal forces that cause a slow loss of potential energy to viscous friction.

Alaguraja said:
L=T-V) In the Lagrangian function we saw to different type of energy conservation's. That is kinetic energy and potential energy. And I have doubt in one topic. How to define potential energy?
usually such questions are posed by people who study mechanics by courses of Landau Lifschitz type where the Lagrage equations are derived from the Hamilton variational principle. But if we follow more classical viewpoint then first we get know about so called the Lagrange equations of the second type
$$\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial T}{\partial \dot q^i}- \frac{\partial T}{\partial q^i}=Q_i,$$ with generalized forces ##Q_i##. By definition these forces are potential provided there exists a function ##V=V(q)## such that $$-\frac{\partial V}{\partial q^i}= Q_i$$

Likes dextercioby

FAQ: Lagrangian Function: Defining Potential Energy

What is a Lagrangian function?

A Lagrangian function is a mathematical expression used in classical mechanics to describe the potential energy of a system. It takes into account the position and velocity of all particles in the system and can be used to determine the equations of motion.

How is potential energy related to the Lagrangian function?

The Lagrangian function is defined as the difference between the kinetic energy and potential energy of a system. This means that the potential energy of a system can be calculated by finding the difference between the total energy and the kinetic energy, which is determined by the Lagrangian function.

What is the significance of the Lagrangian function in physics?

The Lagrangian function is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of physical systems. It is particularly useful in solving problems involving motion, such as finding the trajectory of a particle or the motion of a pendulum.

How is the Lagrangian function different from the Hamiltonian function?

While the Lagrangian function takes into account both the kinetic and potential energy of a system, the Hamiltonian function only considers the total energy of a system. The Hamiltonian function is often used in more advanced physics applications, such as quantum mechanics and thermodynamics.

Can the Lagrangian function be used in all physical systems?

The Lagrangian function is most commonly used in classical mechanics, where it is applicable to a wide range of systems, including particles, rigid bodies, and fluids. However, it may not be suitable for more complex systems, such as those involving quantum mechanics or relativity.