Lagrangian of particle moving on a sphere

In summary, the homework problem involves finding the shape of a tunnel drilled through the Moon that minimizes travel time between two points on its surface under the force of gravity. The suggested solution is to use the hypercycloid shape, with equations x(θ) = (R - r)cos[(R/r)θ] + rcos[{(R-r)/R}θ] and y(θ) = (R - r)sin[(R/r)θ] - rsin[{(R-r)/R}θ]. Using the Euler-Lagrangian equation and setting up an integral for the travel time, the solution involves finding a function f, in polar coordinates, that minimizes the integral.
Pyroadept

Homework Statement

Find the shape of a tunnel drilled through the Moon such that the travel time between two points on the surface of the Moon under the force of gravity is minimized. Assume the Moon is spherical and homogeneous.

Hint: Prove that the shape is the hypercycloid

x(θ) = (R - r)cos[(R/r)θ] + rcos[{(R-r)/R}θ]
y(θ) = (R - r)sin[(R/r)θ] - rsin[{(R-r)/R}θ]

Homework Equations

L = T - U

Euler-Lagrangian equation: ∂L/∂q = (d/dt)(∂L/∂{dq/dt})

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, here's what I've done so far:

L = T - U
= m/2(v_x^2 + v_y^2 + v_z^2) - mgz

Suppose the moon is a sphere centered at the point a on the z (vertical) axis. Suppose particle is positioned at top of moon (i.e. (0,0,2a)

Then L = m/2(v_x^2 + v_y^2 + v_z^2) - 2mga

---

But where do I go from here? Is this even correct? The hint seems to suggest I should be converting to polar coordinates at some point, but how can I do this when I don't know what z is? How do I bring the travel-in-least-time aspect into it?

Please point me in the right direction!

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't attempted it, but notice polar coordinates are the natural choice, as gravity acts radially

so you need to start with 2 points on the surface of the moon, separated say by an angle

You can bring the travel time into it by setting up an integral that computes the travel time for an arbitrary path, say [itex] f = r(\theta) [/itex]. The integrand will be the function you use in your Euler Lagrange equations, to find the function f which minimises the integral

Related to Lagrangian of particle moving on a sphere

1. What is the Lagrangian of a particle moving on a sphere?

The Lagrangian of a particle moving on a sphere is a mathematical function that describes the energy of the particle as it moves along the surface of the sphere. It takes into account the kinetic energy of the particle as well as any potential energy due to the shape of the sphere.

2. How is the Lagrangian of a particle on a sphere different from a particle moving in open space?

The main difference is that the particle on a sphere is constrained to move along the surface of the sphere, whereas a particle in open space can move in any direction. This constraint affects the potential energy term in the Lagrangian and leads to different equations of motion.

3. How is the Lagrangian related to the Hamiltonian in this scenario?

The Hamiltonian is related to the Lagrangian through a mathematical transformation called the Legendre transformation. The Hamiltonian represents the total energy of the system and can be derived from the Lagrangian.

4. Can the Lagrangian of a particle on a sphere be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be used to solve various problems involving particles moving on a sphere, such as predicting the trajectory of a satellite orbiting the Earth or analyzing the motion of a pendulum. It is a powerful tool in classical mechanics and has many applications in physics and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian for a particle on a sphere?

One limitation is that the Lagrangian approach assumes that the particle on the sphere is a point mass with no size or shape. This may not accurately model real-world objects, such as a satellite with a non-negligible size. Additionally, the Lagrangian approach may become more complex for more complicated systems with multiple particles or constraints.

Back