Lagrangian of system with circle and cube

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Lagrangian for coordinates x and θ in a circular path without friction. The equation for Lagrangian is L = U - V and the result from a book states that the origin of the coordinate system is at the center of the initial position of the circular trajectory. The first part is the kinetic energy of a big cube of mass M in coordinate x, the second part is the kinetic energy of a bead of mass m in a circle in coordinate x, and the third part is the kinetic energy of the bead in coordinate θ. The purpose of the fourth part is unclear, and the last part is the potential energy of the bead. The person asks for confirmation on whether their Lagrang
Oomph!
Hello. I have some problems with making Lagrangian. I need your advice.

1. Homework Statement

I have this situation:
situation2.png

Consider the circular path is intangible and without friction. I have to find Lagrangian for coordinates x and θ.

Homework Equations

[/B]
L = U - V

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the result from a book:
result.png

The origin of the coordinate system is at the center of the initial position of the circular trajectory.

I understand that the fist part is kinetic energy of big cube of mass M in coordinate x.The second part is kinetic energy of bead of mass m in a circle in coordinate x.
I don't understand to third part. I think that the m (mass of bead) is missing there. If I will consider that m is there, it is kinetic energy of bead in coordinate θ.
What is the poind of fourth part? I don't see it.
The last part is potentional energy of bead, I understand.

I wrote it there:
lagrangian3.png

So, could you tell me, if this Lagrangian right? And if it is not, how it has to look?
Thank you.

Attachments

• situation2.png
    situation2.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 678
  • result.png
    result.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 480
  • lagrangian3.png
    lagrangian3.png
    29 KB · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you write the position of the bead (both horizontally and vertically) as a function of the generalised coordinates. Differentiating it wrt time will give you the velocity.

Related to Lagrangian of system with circle and cube

1. What is the Lagrangian of a system with a circle and a cube?

The Lagrangian of a system with a circle and a cube is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of the system. It takes into account the position and velocity of both objects and their interactions with each other and any external forces present.

2. How is the Lagrangian of a system with a circle and a cube calculated?

The Lagrangian of a system with a circle and a cube is calculated using the Lagrangian mechanics, which is a mathematical framework for analyzing the dynamics of mechanical systems. It involves determining the kinetic and potential energies of each object and using them to construct the Lagrangian function.

3. What is the significance of the Lagrangian in a system with a circle and a cube?

The Lagrangian is significant in a system with a circle and a cube as it allows us to determine the equations of motion for the objects, which can help us understand how they will move and interact with each other. It also allows us to analyze the system's energy and stability.

4. Can the Lagrangian of a system with a circle and a cube be used to predict the future behavior of the system?

Yes, the Lagrangian of a system with a circle and a cube can be used to predict the future behavior of the system, as it provides a set of equations that describe the system's motion. By solving these equations, we can determine the position and velocity of the objects at any given time in the future.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian in a system with a circle and a cube?

While the Lagrangian is a powerful tool for analyzing mechanical systems, there are some limitations when applying it to a system with a circle and a cube. For example, it assumes that the system is conservative and that there are no dissipative forces present. It also does not take into account any quantum effects that may be present in the system.